• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please explain CNAME to me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Ping www.mydomain.com and note the IP. Then ping banana.mydomain.com - if it's the same IP then DNS is fine and, as above, you need to sort the Virtual Host config.
    Thanks, yes this confirms that it's the virtual host config that's at issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Thanks, yes this confirms that it's the virtual host config that's at issue.
      Cool, now how are you managing the hosting? Do you have CPanel or something?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Cool, now how are you managing the hosting? Do you have CPanel or something?
        Easyspace ... they tell me they can't hack httpd.conf since that's under the control of the provisioning system. But they can set me up another 'zone' and will do the needful to get what I want working.

Comment

Easyspace ... they tell me they can't hack httpd.conf since that's under the control of the provisioning system. But they can set me up another 'zone' and will do the needful to get what I want working.
          With a VPS you could do all the hackin' you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
            With a VPS you could do all the hackin' you like.
            What's a VPS ?

Comment

What's a VPS ?
              Virtual Private Server I think - basically a VM on an Hypervisor in DC somewhere.....

Comment

Aye, if you are only hosting a few little sites and want to learn some hackery then get a Low End Box:
                uk – Low End Box

I have one that costs me £3.50 per month for routing - erm, things - through

Comment

What's a VPS ?
                  WsS. An internet hosted virtual machine with full admin access, a.k.a. 'root', to install whatever software you want and configure it how you want.

The VM is on shared hardware, but (unlike shared hosting) the VM itself is yours with its own IP address(es) and semi-guaranteed resources. VPSs are typically "unmanaged" which means it's your responsibility to administer the OS and installed packages, and fix stuff when it goes wrong. Cost from $15/yr. - $100/mo. depending upon CPU/memory/disk space/bandwidth.

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  I have one that costs me £3.50 per month for routing - erm, things - through
                  Wow that much, huh.

Comment

Yeah got it a couple of years ago I think. It has 512MB RAM and can see you can get cheaper but it has 5 IP addresses so keeping hold of it

Comment

You have to be careful tho, I got one to errr, route stuff through, didn't think it through, and due to errr, traffic my 7 Euro a month VPS cost me 200 Euro that month.

Forgot about the meagre bandwidth allowance...

Comment

Working...
                      X