• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Latest Contractor

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Latest Contractor"

Collapse

• DSF70
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Contract market's a total b*tch at the moment, for seasoned contractors, let alone new starters. Make sure your war chest is bulging...
    I think building the war chest is the best advice. I put 10 months behind me, to give me a bit of breathing space.

You say you've handed in your notice, so no pay off then?

Good luck, but be prepared to have little to no interest until you are actually free to start.

I got lucky with a couple of contractors, who used to work with me, we're on the look out, so I had no gap at all.

I know several other colleagues who went at the same time as me (I resigned, they got VR), who haven't had a sniff in the last 3 months. So they're eating into their payoff already and beginning to think that the grass isn't necessarily greener.

Don't get me wrong, personally I'm still wearing massively rose-tinted specs about contracting, but this forum reminds me that I've still yet to get my first renewal or my second gig!

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisaxe21 View Post
    Hey all

Say hello to the latest contractor! BOOM!

Handed in my notice and can't wait to get started.

Looks like my permie notice will end this time in December. Have many folk managed to secure contracts so close to Xmas or is it more likely to be the new year?

Cheers

Chris
    Contract market's a total b*tch at the moment, for seasoned contractors, let alone new starters. Make sure your war chest is bulging...

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Could be a short time, could be a long time
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Can you be a contractor without having done a single contract?
    That would leave the OP as just being an "or"

Which begs the question - or what?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    In time my sweeties. In time.
    Could be a short time, could be a long time

Leave a comment:

• chrisaxe21
    replied

Your go.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chrisaxe21
    replied
    In time my sweeties. In time.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Indeed. The clue would be in the name would it not.
    Indeed. When he hands the keys back on his little red van, he'll just be called Pat.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Indeed. The clue would be in the name would it not.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I suggest you save your boom until you are actually sitting at a desk at your client.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Hey all

Looks like my permie notice will end this time in December. Have many folk managed to secure contracts so close to Xmas or is it more likely to be the new year?

Cheers

Chris
    I suggest you save your boom until you actually secure a contract.

Christmas / Summer / Spring / Autumn / when the cows are lying down are all difficult and you should manage your expectations accordingly

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• chrisaxe21
    started a topic Latest Contractor

Latest Contractor

Hey all

Cheers

Chris

Working...
X