• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Current permco raised "would you like to contract for us"... IR35? Contract?"

Collapse

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Thanks for the update and well done. As you'll learn in a while, the second contract is always the hardest.

You've lost him, get over it.
    second was the easiest (3 days of looking). But that was luck

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by matty View Post
    So, in an exciting turn of events, I politely declined staying at existing co in any shape or form as I wanted to stick to my plan. They were cool (I think they respected me for it actually). Finished there, was still getting paid for a few days (hol owed), took that + a few days at my own cost and hammered the job boards, phone, networking circuit etc! And landed a contract - day rate I'm happy with, sensible client and agent, weekly timesheets, self-billing invoices, and weekly payment cycle. First 2 weeks done now, so first payment came through yesterday yay!

So it's all go now ... Thanks for your support and info on here

Only down side is clientco uses Lotus Notes.
    Thanks for the update and well done. As you'll learn in a while, the second contract is always the hardest.

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
    First of all. Congratulations to the OP.

Would a change of job title and / or working days have made a difference?
    You've lost him, get over it.

Leave a comment:

• DanielSQL
    replied
    First of all. Congratulations to the OP.

Would a change of job title and / or working days have made a difference?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by matty View Post
    So, in an exciting turn of events, I politely declined staying at existing co in any shape or form as I wanted to stick to my plan. They were cool (I think they respected me for it actually). Finished there, was still getting paid for a few days (hol owed), took that + a few days at my own cost and hammered the job boards, phone, networking circuit etc! And landed a contract - day rate I'm happy with, sensible client and agent, weekly timesheets, self-billing invoices, and weekly payment cycle. First 2 weeks done now, so first payment came through yesterday yay!

Well done

Leave a comment:

• matty
    replied
    And we're off!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eman View Post
    Fair enough. And Yup...as a permy looking to make the transition soon (currently saving up to roughly 6-9 months worth of living expenses - and researching on CUK in every spare moment) I am trying to adopt an attitude from day 1 whereby my choosing a gig or it's financial viability will not be dependent on the difference in my take home between being inside or outside IR35.
    Sounds like the right way to approach it. Have a look at the tips sticky to see if there is anything new there you hadn't considered and might be worth researching...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-business.html

Leave a comment:

• eman
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Nope not really.. He's following the rules of the legislation so should make no difference to the chances of him getting investigated. HMRC want all gigs to be inside so if anything it should make it less likely but it probably won't make a difference. He's more likely to draw attention to himself by changing shareholdings too often, missing VAT & Tax deadlines and just running his affairs involving HMRC badly.
    Fair enough. And Yup...as a permy looking to make the transition soon (currently saving up to roughly 6-9 months worth of living expenses - and researching on CUK in every spare moment) I am trying to adopt an attitude from day 1 whereby my choosing a gig or it's financial viability will not be dependent on the difference in my take home between being inside or outside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eman View Post
    If the OP were to take up this contract anyway - both accepting the fact that it would place them within IR35 and making appropriate arrangements for tax accordingly - would it be a fair assumption that there was an increased risk of investigation/more scrutiny from HMRC for any future contracts for which the OP undertakes and claims to be outside of IR35?

Fantastic forum by the way
    Nope not really.. He's following the rules of the legislation so should make no difference to the chances of him getting investigated. HMRC want all gigs to be inside so if anything it should make it less likely but it probably won't make a difference. He's more likely to draw attention to himself by changing shareholdings too often, missing VAT & Tax deadlines and just running his affairs involving HMRC badly.

Leave a comment:

• eman
    replied
    If the OP were to take up this contract anyway - both accepting the fact that it would place them within IR35 and making appropriate arrangements for tax accordingly - would it be a fair assumption that there was an increased risk of investigation/more scrutiny from HMRC for any future contracts for which the OP undertakes and claims to be outside of IR35?

Fantastic forum by the way

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Shum mishtake shurely (hic)
    Shhhhh

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    As others have said, you would have a hard job convincing HMRC that you were inside IR35 on this one.
    Shum mishtake shurely (hic)

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    As others have said, you would have a hard job convincing HMRC that you were outside IR35 on this one. If this is your first time contracting and the contract would only be for about 3 months then an umbrella company is a good option for you. If everything goes pear shaped and you are back in permiedom after 3 months it's much less hassle to leave the employment of an umbrella company than to shut down a Ltd Co. Saying that, after April, you would not be able to claim travel and subsistence expenses so you would need to think about that in rate discussions.

oh and COTBAC means cut out to be a contractor - coming from NLUK that was a compliment
    Last edited by LisaContractorUmbrella; 15 February 2016, 08:59. Reason: NLUK pointed out a glaring error

Leave a comment:

• matty
    replied
    Yeah under no illusion on that, it will be ir35. Which in some senses makes it easier on this way as I know I have to get a good enough day rate to allow for that. If they can't do the day rate then I'll be off to something else and they can find another contractor to fill in (one who isn't perm with them and can be outside ir35!)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It's not impossible to be outside IR35 with your ex-permanent employer, but you would need to be happy you were 100% bullet proof. If you're basically doing the same job, then it's a no-no.
    It is in this case. He will be contracted to carry on doing his job until they get a replacement. It's the epitome of what IR35 was made for.

Leave a comment:

• matty
    replied
    You know, this lad might actually be COTBAC!
    Dammit can't find what COTBAC stands for grrrrrr. Must. Resist. Asking.

Ah feckit, go on I'll take the bait, what does it stand for??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X