• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Resign from Umbrella"

Collapse

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Someone isn't cut out of the this being employed malarkey.
    That's a new one for you NLUK

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    The tax code used and tax paid will be on your payslip.
    Someone isn't cut out of the this being employed malarkey.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    The tax code used and tax paid will be on your payslip.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    I have no idea what tax code they used, they didn't use the P45 I offered, the rate was lower than normal, but the expenses higher so I was expecting to bring home less but not nearly half.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    The back dating was not from another contract/agency/umbrella it was from them. They didn't process any expenses from the start of the contract, then wouldn't back date.

I did intend to have other contracts thru them as the agency has plenty of work, but after bringing home just over 50% of my earnings every week I just can't afford to, especially as that contract was at a lower than normal rate, but as it was for only for 3 months I foolishly took it as my original contract had been put back.
    What tax code was used? If your rate was lower than normal I cannot really see how you could have had such a low take home.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    The back dating was not from another contract/agency/umbrella it was from them. They didn't process any expenses from the start of the contract, then wouldn't back date.

I did intend to have other contracts thru them as the agency has plenty of work, but after bringing home just over 50% of my earnings every week I just can't afford to, especially as that contract was at a lower than normal rate, but as it was for only for 3 months I foolishly took it as my original contract had been put back.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    no the reason given for not paying was the back dating issue and due to the swedish contract there was a limit to how much they could process every week the brolly told me during the contract that I would get the money back at the end, and that is how they normally do things.
    As I said, if you were not employed by them they would not have been able to process previously incurred expenses. If you only intended to have one assignment with them you would not have been entitled to claim travel and subsistence expenses as your workplace would be considered by HMRC to be permanent. The umbrella company should not have been deducting money from you to cover their obligations under a Swedish Derogation contract - can you confirm if these deductions have now been paid back to you?

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    no the reason given for not paying was the back dating issue and due to the swedish contract there was a limit to how much they could process every week the brolly told me during the contract that I would get the money back at the end, and that is how they normally do things.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    If you only had one place of work during your employment, then you won't be able to claim travel and subsistence expenses. You can only claim those if you are travelling to a temporary workplace, which you weren't.

Would that explain why you didn't get them paid?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    right the saga continues the HMRC have rejected the claim. where do I go for assistance?

and can I take action against the brolly?
    Not really - if the claim hasn't been allowed by HMRC then the umbrella company were correct not to process it

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    right the saga continues the HMRC have rejected the claim. where do I go for assistance?

and can I take action against the brolly?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    they are not my current umbrella and will never be, I went for an interview in june and was offered the job on the spot with a start the following day. I foolishly accepted, the agency then said this brolly or nothing, I checked the online calculator and it seemed ok, so I went ahead, Big Mistake! one I will not make again. I am now in another contract with my former umbrella.
    As you have used the present tense throughout the entirety of the thread and were ranting about their performance somewhat vociferously I rather assumed that your issue was current - my mistake.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    they are not my current umbrella and will never be, I went for an interview in june and was offered the job on the spot with a start the following day. I foolishly accepted, the agency then said this brolly or nothing, I checked the online calculator and it seemed ok, so I went ahead, Big Mistake! one I will not make again. I am now in another contract with my former umbrella.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Having completed a p87 on the instruction of the brolly to claim my expenses, I received not a cheque as they stated, but a Long questionnaire, as a lot of the questions needed their input I forwarded to them to complete.

Firstly they spelt my name wrong, then They changed my sex, then they changed my name completely, then they put the wrong start date for the contract, I cannot believe they are allowed to operate, nor that people choose to use them!

This has been going on since june
    It does sound as though you have had a difficult time with your current umbrella company - maybe another firm would be better for you? Personal service and professionalism are very important when someone else is dealing with your money aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Having completed a p87 on the instruction of the brolly to claim my expenses, I received not a cheque as they stated, but a Long questionnaire, as a lot of the questions needed their input I forwarded to them to complete.

Firstly they spelt my name wrong, then They changed my sex, then they changed my name completely, then they put the wrong start date for the contract, I cannot believe they are allowed to operate, nor that people choose to use them!

This has been going on since june

Leave a comment:

Working...
X