• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Umbrella Companies: New to contracting"

Collapse

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    WTFS

If the contract rate, as agreed in the business to business contract between the umbrella company and the agency is £300.00 per day then it would be usual for this rate to be plus VAT and not inclusive of VAT - other than that the figures seem OK. You should advise your friend that he cannot claim travel expenses whilst he's with the umbrella company as he will only be working on a single assignment whilst in their employment.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by geemel79 View Post
    does this not seem awfully steep ? forgive me if im wrong but should the agency not be paying his employers ni contributions ?
    The only question I would have is why the calculation is based off £300 including VAT rather than excluding VAT. I've not gone the umbrella route before, but when I agree a rate, that is excluding VAT.

If the rate discussed was VAT inclusive, then the calculator from contractor umbrella gives a net income of £753.87 which is pretty close to what you get.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew@NymanLinden View Post
    If you want to save the Er's NIC then you'll need to go down the Ltd Co. route - more admin but take home pay much better. It totally depends on your circumstances.

Assuming a daily rate of £300k, you'll have annual income of £69k (46 weeks) (plus £2.6k from the VAT flat rate scheme saving in the first year) accountant's fees would be only a little more than what you are paying the Umbrella. Assuming you withdraw all profits your net pay will look more like £4k per month (£51k annually).

If you income is likely to be at this level I would highly recommend going Ltd. If £30k then probably not worth it.

Andrew
    Can I have a day rate of £300k.... please....

Seriously, it's reportedly a three month deal until he takes on a permie role, and it's clear they have no ideas about contracting anyway; so umbrella is the only viable option.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew@Wisteria
    replied
    right so my bf was contacted by an agency after seeing his cv online and offered him a 6 week contract £300 per day working 7 days a week

he decided to take the ob on as a stop gap as hes due to start a full time position but not for 3 months

he filled in all the forms and was told to register with an umbrella company as that is how they pay his wages between the agency and umbrella company this was all done for him and he was given log in details which he gave to me to keep an eye on

so the timesheet was submitted and viewable on his umbrella profile was invoiced to the client for 1225 plus vat 245

no his payslip went online and his take home pay was £762 !!!!

breakdown as follows minus the pennies

income to the company 1225

ni employers contributions 129

admin fee 1250

total available for salary 1083

tax 237

ni 83

paid to employee 762

does this not seem awfully steep ? forgive me if im wrong but should the agency not be paying his employers ni contributions ?

considering his annual pay this year is probably only going to be about 30k it seems that way
    If you want to save the Er's NIC then you'll need to go down the Ltd Co. route - more admin but take home pay much better. It totally depends on your circumstances.

Assuming a daily rate of £300k, you'll have annual income of £69k (46 weeks) (plus £2.6k from the VAT flat rate scheme saving in the first year) accountant's fees would be only a little more than what you are paying the Umbrella. Assuming you withdraw all profits your net pay will look more like £4k per month (£51k annually).

If you income is likely to be at this level I would highly recommend going Ltd. If £30k then probably not worth it.

Andrew

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    right so my bf was contacted by an agency after seeing his cv online and offered him a 6 week contract £300 per day working 7 days a week

he decided to take the ob on as a stop gap as hes due to start a full time position but not for 3 months

he filled in all the forms and was told to register with an umbrella company as that is how they pay his wages between the agency and umbrella company this was all done for him and he was given log in details which he gave to me to keep an eye on

so the timesheet was submitted and viewable on his umbrella profile was invoiced to the client for 1225 plus vat 245

admin fee 1250

tax 237

ni 83

paid to employee 762

considering his annual pay this year is probably only going to be about 30k it seems that way
    Nope, looks reasonable to me (assuming he only worked 4 days and the umbrella fee is actually £12.50...).

Working through an umbrella you get taxed as an employee but Employer's NICs, are the contractor's liability, nobody else's. Welcome to reality.

Leave a comment:

• geemel79
    replied
    help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

admin fee 1250

tax 237

ni 83

paid to employee 762

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Hi Lazy Genius

Welcome to the forum

Basically, all umbrella companies work in the same way so what you should be looking for is excellent customer service, transparency on their website, a good reputation and longevity in the market place. A good umbrella company should also make sure that you fully understand the way that an umbrella company differs to permanent employment before you register with them so look for informative articles on their website especially in relation to expenses and employer's NI. Any companies marketing their business based on 'take home pay' should be approached with caution as all UK umbrella companies should operate PAYE on all your earnings - a company promising 85% take home is unlikely to work in this way as income tax rates start at 20% and NI contributions at 12.8%.

Why should you register with us? Because we're good

HTH - any more questions just shout.

Leave a comment:

• Lazy Genius
    replied
    Hi guys,

I'm completely new to these forums, and relatively new to contracting / freelancing but the issue of Umbrella Companies is one that I was hoping to get some help with.

Lisa - what would be the benefits of registering with yourselves?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by kevinm3 View Post
    Thank you.

Is the best way of signing up through yourself directly?
    Hi Kevin,

You can either sign up here: Sign up with one of the UK's most respected Umbrella Companies today! or if you would prefer one of my team here could sort it out for you over the phone - 01206 761326.

Look forward to having you on board

Leave a comment:

• kevinm3
    replied
    Thank you.

Is the best way of signing up through yourself directly?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by kevinm3 View Post
    Hi Lisa,

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

I'm due to start a contract on May 7th and was considering going with CU.

My daily rate is £150 p/day
    Expenses Approx £160 p/week.

Can you give a break down on my take.

Thanks

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

No problem - happy to help This is the calculation that you asked for:

Monthly Weekly

Income 750.00
    Expenses 160.00

Employer's NI 50.14
    Employee's NI 43.60
    Employee Tax 65.64
    Total All Tax 159.38
    CU Margin 27.50
    Total Net Income 560.52

HTH

Leave a comment:

• kevinm3
    replied
    Hi Lisa,

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

I'm due to start a contract on May 7th and was considering going with CU.

My daily rate is £150 p/day
    Expenses Approx £160 p/week.

Can you give a break down on my take.

Thanks

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by HussainRaza View Post
    Thank you, you've been very helpful.

I noticed you work for an umbrella company, would I be able to get an illustration?

Many Thanks
    See illustration above - if you let me have a note of any expenses that you will actually incur and confirm that you are intending to work on more than one assignment as a contractor working through an umbrella company and I will post a revised calculation for you

Leave a comment:

• HussainRaza
    replied
    Thank you, you've been very helpful.

I noticed you work for an umbrella company, would I be able to get an illustration?

Many Thanks

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by HussainRaza View Post
    Noo LOL
    Then the calculation you have been given is totally incorrect and if they do put through those expenses without you having incurred them you will be in dead trouble with HMR&C. If the umbrella company was recommended to you it may be an idea to let the recommender know

Leave a comment:

Working...
X