• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Parasol expenses cover sheet"

Collapse

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    maybe they are just hibernating and will re-appear in spring?

Aaahhhh like likkle hedgehogs

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    maybe they are just hibernating and will re-appear in spring?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I think you were right not to hold your breath Zippy

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Good question Zippy - do you want me to wait with you
    Nah - thanks though. I'm sure you have plans for the rest of your life

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I assume 'purchase price' includes VAT? So would Parasol be able to claim any of this back? Would this purchase increase the 'employment costs' (which I believe are applied before the deduction of legitimate business expenses)?
    I'm not holding my breath for a reply here ..
    Good question Zippy - do you want me to wait with you

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I assume 'purchase price' includes VAT? So would Parasol be able to claim any of this back? Would this purchase increase the 'employment costs' (which I believe are applied before the deduction of legitimate business expenses)?
    I'm not holding my breath for a reply here ..

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by bobof View Post
    Surely it is the same deal? The umbrella company have effectively bought the laptop by re-imbursing your cost. You don't have income from the contract; the Umbrella do and they choose to pay you a salary which is reminiscent of the post-employer's NI, but doesn't have to be (I'm sure somewhere in your employment contract there will be mention of some bonus you are paid in addition to a basic salary and the calculation of that bonus will involve the subtraction of expenses due).

It seems to me a lot of these questions stem from people not grasping that the contract isn't theirs when they go via an Umbrella, it is between the Umbrella and the end client.

Having said that, the umbrella I use for my contract don't operate this kind of policy (it seems this is being offered as a perk so you can buy a laptop effectively bypassing NI and tax) and I imagine it starts to blur the line a bit too much?
    I think I understand the way that an umbrella contract works However, in this case there is no reimbursement of cost in reality and the purchase is not made by the umbrella company so they have no legal entitlement to the property and certainly no entitlement to 10% of the purchase price which would seem to be the case in this instance

Leave a comment:

• bobof
    replied
    But the difference is that I think the company paid for the bike
    Surely it is the same deal? The umbrella company have effectively bought the laptop by re-imbursing your cost. You don't have income from the contract; the Umbrella do and they choose to pay you a salary which is reminiscent of the post-employer's NI, but doesn't have to be (I'm sure somewhere in your employment contract there will be mention of some bonus you are paid in addition to a basic salary and the calculation of that bonus will involve the subtraction of expenses due).

It seems to me a lot of these questions stem from people not grasping that the contract isn't theirs when they go via an Umbrella, it is between the Umbrella and the end client.

Having said that, the umbrella I use for my contract don't operate this kind of policy (it seems this is being offered as a perk so you can buy a laptop effectively bypassing NI and tax) and I imagine it starts to blur the line a bit too much?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Just thought I'd pop back to this thread to see if any explanations had miraculously appeared - sadly not

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    Originally posted by Apox21 View Post
    Fair point. How do ContractorUmbrella deal with this? If I was working through you and I needed a laptop that was essential for my role, not for personal use etc. as per your website I could claim the cost back. How would you get the money to pay me the expenses?
    they would use the funds they bill you out for.

Leave a comment:

• Apox21
    replied
    Fair point. How do ContractorUmbrella deal with this? If I was working through you and I needed a laptop that was essential for my role, not for personal use etc. as per your website I could claim the cost back. How would you get the money to pay me the expenses?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I seem to remember from my days a permie that there were similar rules with regard to cycle to work schemes etc. i.e. the company owned the bike then after a set period you could either hand the bike back or pay the market rate for the bike (which was about 5 or 10%). so would assume they're operating under similar tax rules (I may be wrong)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I seem to remember from my days a permie that there were similar rules with regard to cycle to work schemes etc. i.e. the company owned the bike then after a set period you could either hand the bike back or pay the market rate for the bike (which was about 5 or 10%). so would assume they're operating under similar tax rules (I may be wrong)
    Thanks but assuming things and comparing to different schemes isn't really helping anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Apox21
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I think we are aware of that. The HMRC policy on wholly and exclusively is well documented. The key argument is the 10%.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    It looks to me that Parasols policy on equipment isn't much different to other umbrella companies policy on equipment apart from the 10% deposit:

Parasol

"The costs of hardware, software and personal protection equipment essential to your role can be claimed. There’s no limit to the amount that can be claimed, although you must complete the sundry letter provided detailing how each purchase supports your role, along with the original receipt. Claiming the full cost of any purchase requires a security deposit* equivalent to 10% of the purchase price to be paid. The equipment will become the property of Parasol, with the option to purchase it after a qualifying period at a second-hand value assumed to be equal to 10% of the purchase price.* The 10% deposit will deducted from your net pay following your authorisation."

ContractorUmbrella

"Claims for equipment must be supported by evidence that they are specifically required for your current contract and that the equipment is wholly necessary for you to perform the assignment. Any general pieces of equipment for your role as a contractor or ‘nice to haves’ are not permitted by HMR&C."
    I think we are aware of that. The HMRC policy on wholly and exclusively is well documented. The key argument is the 10%.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X