• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dropbox and UTF8

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dropbox and UTF8"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Thanks. All seems very poor. The BOM runs the risk of some webserver, or other bit of software not understanding what it is. Plus it's stupid, and was only meant to be for plain text files, not for HTML that has a field telling you what the format is.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Looking at the Dropbox forums, it seems to be a known issue, due to them choosing a stupid default encoding. See for example https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=45228 and https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=59314.

Apparently they were "aware of the issue" early last year but people were still complaining as of a month ago

You could try putting a BOM at the start of the file. Pain in the arse though.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    started a topic Dropbox and UTF8

Dropbox and UTF8

I have a UTF8 .htm file, with the appropriate <meta charset="UTF-8"/> in the header, and this works fine as a local file, or off a webserver. Unfortunately if I upload it to dropbox (i.e. copying into my Dropbox/public folder in Windows) and access it public link, Dropbox decides to serve it back as ANSI and any unicode characters get garbled.

Anyone know a way around this?

Working...
X