• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "isError = isError || false;"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    If you think JS and the browser DOM can be a pain now, just have a look at these JavaScript FAQs from 1996 - and that's when we only had one browser (Netscape Navigator 2) to worry about!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I seem to always get dumped on javascript as has happened to me again. I don't even bother telling PMs that java and javascript are different now

Anyway, I just can't get my head around the stuff. Just seems to be layers of hacks to do stuff that can usually be done quite simply server side.

I agree that jquery/ajax stuff can be useful at times there just seems to be too much of it very badly written.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Yes, but really you'd want

while(truthiness)
    {
    doUpdation();
    }

// falsiness now applies

Crazy language. I never thought initialising variables before you used them was much of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    if (truthiness)
    {
    doUpdation();
    }

truthiness && doUpdation();

Who needs readability?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    if (truthiness)
    {
    doUpdation();
    }

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Does that not only work if isError is a boolean? I.e. the || operator is a boolean operator, it can only be true or false, and I'll take your word for it that undefined || false == false. But it wouldn't work if isError was 5.7.

I would have done isError == undefined ? false : isError;

Which says what it means, rather than some wierd script kiddyish hackery.
    In Javascript you have something called truthiness and falsieness. It means that non-boolean variables can be either truthy or falsy which means they evaluate to true or false when used in a boolean situation.

eg. Off the top of my head, the following are falsy:

false
    null
    undefined
    empty string

Everything else is truthy. So you could use:

if(response) {
    do stuff
    }

and assuming response is not a falsy value it should 'do stuff'.

It's an odd language but it makes sense once you get used to it.

Sort of

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    It means - if isError exists then keep it the same, otherwise set it to false.
    Does that not only work if isError is a boolean? I.e. the || operator is a boolean operator, it can only be true or false, and I'll take your word for it that undefined || false == false. But it wouldn't work if isError was 5.7.

I would have done isError == undefined ? false : isError;

Which says what it means, rather than some wierd script kiddyish hackery.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Ah, cheers, see it now.

Christ, can they not just have types like normal languages.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Found the above in a line of javascript which I am not that great on.

Is there any reason to do this? Am I missing something? Some js trick?

Or can we just put this down to offshore devs?
    It means - if isError exists then keep it the same, otherwise set it to false.

You see it a lot when you don't know if a variable or object has been created yet but you need it to exist so you might use:

var CUK = CUK || {};

So now you know that CUK definitely exists.
    Last edited by Bunk; 13 March 2013, 10:47.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    started a topic isError = isError || false;

isError = isError || false;

Found the above in a line of javascript which I am not that great on.

Is there any reason to do this? Am I missing something? Some js trick?

Or can we just put this down to offshore devs?

Working...
X