• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "isError = isError || false;"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    If you think JS and the browser DOM can be a pain now, just have a look at these JavaScript FAQs from 1996 - and that's when we only had one browser (Netscape Navigator 2) to worry about!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I seem to always get dumped on javascript as has happened to me again. I don't even bother telling PMs that java and javascript are different now

Anyway, I just can't get my head around the stuff. Just seems to be layers of hacks to do stuff that can usually be done quite simply server side.

I agree that jquery/ajax stuff can be useful at times there just seems to be too much of it very badly written.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Yes, but really you'd want

while(truthiness)
    {
    doUpdation();
    }

// falsiness now applies

Crazy language. I never thought initialising variables before you used them was much of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    if (truthiness)
    {
    doUpdation();
    }

truthiness && doUpdation();

Who needs readability?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    if (truthiness)
    {
    doUpdation();
    }

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Does that not only work if isError is a boolean? I.e. the || operator is a boolean operator, it can only be true or false, and I'll take your word for it that undefined || false == false. But it wouldn't work if isError was 5.7.

I would have done isError == undefined ? false : isError;

Which says what it means, rather than some wierd script kiddyish hackery.
    In Javascript you have something called truthiness and falsieness. It means that non-boolean variables can be either truthy or falsy which means they evaluate to true or false when used in a boolean situation.

eg. Off the top of my head, the following are falsy:

false
    null
    undefined
    empty string

Everything else is truthy. So you could use:

if(response) {
    do stuff
    }

and assuming response is not a falsy value it should 'do stuff'.

It's an odd language but it makes sense once you get used to it.

Sort of

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    It means - if isError exists then keep it the same, otherwise set it to false.
    Does that not only work if isError is a boolean? I.e. the || operator is a boolean operator, it can only be true or false, and I'll take your word for it that undefined || false == false. But it wouldn't work if isError was 5.7.

I would have done isError == undefined ? false : isError;

Which says what it means, rather than some wierd script kiddyish hackery.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Ah, cheers, see it now.

Christ, can they not just have types like normal languages.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Found the above in a line of javascript which I am not that great on.

Is there any reason to do this? Am I missing something? Some js trick?

Or can we just put this down to offshore devs?
    It means - if isError exists then keep it the same, otherwise set it to false.

You see it a lot when you don't know if a variable or object has been created yet but you need it to exist so you might use:

var CUK = CUK || {};

So now you know that CUK definitely exists.
    Last edited by Bunk; 13 March 2013, 10:47.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    started a topic isError = isError || false;

isError = isError || false;

Found the above in a line of javascript which I am not that great on.

Is there any reason to do this? Am I missing something? Some js trick?

Or can we just put this down to offshore devs?

Working...
X