• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Laptops and Gaming

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Laptops and Gaming"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I've got that laptop, nice bit of kit.

Win 7 64 bit, i7, 8Gb, NVidia GT640m, 512Gb SSD, Full HD etc..

Dell XPS 15

Well impressed.
    I'm about to hit the buy button on this

Have you used yours for gaming?
    Have you noticed any throttling/heat issues?
    Hows the wifi?

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Firstly I know a proper PC would give better performance but I need this when away from home.

I've whittled my choice down to a Dell XPS 15-L521X
    Review Dell XPS 15 (L521X) Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

reasonable screen (better resolution than Lenovos Y series anyway)
    Graphics card looks like its more than suitable

I'm not too bothered about weight or badge.

However I'm not sure if an i7 processor is overkill for gaming or not

Other uses:
    Office
    DB
    Analytics
    I've got that laptop, nice bit of kit.

Win 7 64 bit, i7, 8Gb, NVidia GT640m, 512Gb SSD, Full HD etc..

Dell XPS 15

Well impressed.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 4 March 2013, 14:36.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Don't bet on the Dell XPS lasting the distance. The peak of Dell quality was the Latitude D series and its been downhill ever since.

And at least with Apple I can head to a city centre find the shop and get it fixed there and then.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Its overkill for gaming but not for running virtual machines depending on you analytic setup.
    Good point, well made

Personally I would go for a Macbook retina. Look like you have the money to pay for the proper tools for the job rather than being a cheapstake cowboy.
    My current Dell will be 6 this summer. 2 things have kept it going
    - Next day onsite support from Dell for warranty (5 years) and accident repair issues (3 years)
    - It's easy maintainability means I can fix it my self when required (like now when it's too old for Dell to cover any more)

The only reason I'm getting rid of it is due to the hardware limitation on the memory and the processor is a bit slow for newer games.

The Apple is a lovely bit of kit and the screen is a winner but I need a work horse that will last the distance.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Firstly I know a proper PC would give better performance but I need this when away from home.

Other uses:
    Office
    DB
    Analytics
    Its overkill for gaming but not for running virtual machines depending on you analytic setup.

Personally I would go for a Macbook retina. Look like you have the money to pay for the proper tools for the job rather than being a cheapstake cowboy.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    started a topic Laptops and Gaming

Laptops and Gaming

Other uses:
    Office
    DB
    Analytics

Working...
X