• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BT infinity thingy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BT infinity thingy"

Collapse

• wxman
    replied
    Loginto bt.com

Under broadband services ther is a link "Upgrade my Broadband"

Leave a comment:

• jatinder
    replied
    Hi wxman,

Where/how did you apply for the free speed upgrade?

Thanks,
    --Jatinder

Originally posted by wxman View Post
    I just applied for my BT Infinity speed upgrade (free!) - it took 12 hours to come through.

I am on fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and I am 700 metes from the cabinet.

I now have 62Mb download with 14Mb upload for £26/month unlimited download cap.

What a result!

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    The house we are moving to in June can get Infinity 2.....

Gonna be a bit of a change from the 1.4MB we've had to live with out in the sticks

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    had infinity since the start of the year, was getting around 32mbps download and 9mbps upload

recently though wireless routher has been playing up and only getting 5mbps DL & 7mbps UL resetting it occassionally works, so troubleshooted using wired connectionm, on which i got 78mpbs DL & 18mbps UL

contemplating re-cabling my whole house with cat 6 cables and sockets now

oh and i would def recommend the newsgroups route for DL, have cleaner and faster then any other method

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    I just applied for my BT Infinity speed upgrade (free!) - it took 12 hours to come through.

I am on fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and I am 700 metes from the cabinet.

I now have 62Mb download with 14Mb upload for £26/month unlimited download cap.

What a result!

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Sky are about to offer it, trailing it now, only 2mb up tho but no BT-style throttling of P2P
    Thats my reason for asking... No other provider interests or rarely match their price.

Zen are my local ISP (Rochdale) but didnt like their customer service years ago, and generally where on the top end of price.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The Soviet 'shelf' toilet, ahh, you get to check your stools before flushing....

Aren't those the norm in present-day Japan?

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I thought that no matter what you do with torrent there is no way you could completely hide from BT the fact you are using torrent hence you will still get throttled. I'll give it a try tonight to see if it works tho

They seem to be expensive, and I am not so sure I would want to trust them with my card details for re-occuring payments

these usernet stuff was before my time in IT so have no clue what ist all about. Any chance you can give me some links to get started

css_jay99
    You need to pay a monthly subscription to a binary usenet server , I use thunder news, pay using PayPal. The you install sabnzB+ and configure it to point to your server. Now you use nzbmatrix website to search for stuff to download, you simple download the nzb file and open it with San and you are done.

You usually get the last year of uploads but you get old stuff reposted a lot.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I don't think encryption will stop it, and my seedbox is 9 quid a mo via paypal.

100mb/100mb, no real limits - so bloody quick I think it's not taken the torrent link, when in fact it's already downloaded it before the browser had time to refresh. Then use Transmit (if Mac) to download it from there at full 40mbs.

Or you could use TOR or a VPN?

Usenet (NNTP) is as old as the internet but you'll need a news server such as EasyNews and don't count on getting anything old movie wise, the retention times arent that good.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    Encrypt your p2p data using uTorrent.

GE
    I thought that no matter what you do with torrent there is no way you could completely hide from BT the fact you are using torrent hence you will still get throttled. I'll give it a try tonight to see if it works tho

Seedbox

They seem to be expensive, and I am not so sure I would want to trust them with my card details for re-occuring payments

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Don't use P2P use Usenet Binary Server like Thundernews along with NZBMAtrix and SabNZB+. You are downloading from an actual server so it's full speed from start to finish and SSL.
    these usernet stuff was before my time in IT so have no clue what ist all about. Any chance you can give me some links to get started

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I have unlimited infinity and its great! ..... comming from a 1mb connection

Except for throttling of P2P traffic

whats the best way to get round this throttling ?

css_jay99
    Seedbox

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied

css_jay99
    Don't use P2P use Usenet Binary Server like Thundernews along with NZBMAtrix and SabNZB+. You are downloading from an actual server so it's full speed from start to finish and SSL.

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    Encrypt your p2p data using uTorrent.

GE

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• Darksider
    replied
    Make sure you disable WPS (wifi protected setup) on the Homehub as it's vulnerable to wireless hacking attacks. BT have addressed the issue and should be turning WPS off as default on newer models.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X