• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone feeling kind?"

Collapse

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Ahhhhhh Brillo - I've just bigged you up as well Yep was operator error unfortunately - I think the macro that went with it fried my braincells
    These things happen

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Err - how can I put this - the issue was between the chair and the keyboard....
    Ahhhhhh Brillo - I've just bigged you up as well Yep was operator error unfortunately - I think the macro that went with it fried my braincells

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Trailing spaces?
    No but good thought - was so incredibly technical only an Excel God could have sorted it

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Trailing spaces?
    Err - how can I put this - the issue was between the chair and the keyboard....

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    All resolved now - I am an excel god!
    Yeah you are

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Trailing spaces?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    All sorted - thanks for all the input guys and a big for Brillo who has just saved my sanity

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Yep all good
    Are your numbers formatted as text?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Have you reference locked your arrays?
    Yep all good

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Have you reference locked your arrays?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Right tried that. I have come to the conclusion that it must be the data that's been imported that's causing the problem as a really simple Vlookup is not working in a completely new workbook. Some of the data is downloaded as a csv file from a banking system - do any of you know whether or not they would have built something in to stop the data being used???? Have tried =CLEAN(), =TRIM(), =LEN() and =ISNUMBER() on the data and everything seems to have worked - length is correct and number format is confirmed but am still getting #N/A
    Can you narrow it down to a really simple example, change the data a bit so there are no privacy concerns then post it up here? Or maybe PM it to those who are interested - I am!

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Right tried that. I have come to the conclusion that it must be the data that's been imported that's causing the problem as a really simple Vlookup is not working in a completely new workbook. Some of the data is downloaded as a csv file from a banking system - do any of you know whether or not they would have built something in to stop the data being used???? Have tried =CLEAN(), =TRIM(), =LEN() and =ISNUMBER() on the data and everything seems to have worked - length is correct and number format is confirmed but am still getting #N/A

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Thanks guys - I'll give rebuilding it a go and see how I get on. The data on the various sheets is all imported from other programmes so I think you may be right that it has just thrown a wobbly

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    BlasterBates is probably right, sometimes a spreadsheet can go haywire when it's had data imported into it from elsewhere. I've seen it a few times and it's completely unpredictable.

Best bet is to start a brand new workbook, then copy and paste values from your broken sheet into a sheet in the new workbook. Then try a new lookup formula in the new workbook and see what happens.

You could also try making a new column in your existing sheet and fill it with =value(A2) (if Col A contains your lookup IDs) and paste down and then do the lookup on that column instead.

You could also try a combination of INDEX and MATCH instead of VLOOKUP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X