• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mobile broadband instead of fixed line?"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    I pay £3.33 per month for unlimited data through T-Mobile.

I think tethering is against the T&C, but I have used it as a backup once or twice.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Why not go there and try it? You can share your connection from your Android phone via WiFi (you did buy an Android phone didn't you?).

I would think the latency of dial up would make it horrible for remote desktop.

Was only joking about the dial up! Would need a landline to use it anyway so may as well get broadband over it instead.

No, don't have an android phone yet (next one will probably be android), but if I understand the tethering ability right, you still need a data plan on the phone for internet access, which looking at my current provider works out about the same as getting a separate PAYG mobile broadband dongle anyway.

Are there any mobile phone companies offering good deals that include extensive or unlimited data plans in the normal monthly phone fee, and don't require you to sign up for 18 or 24 months?

Looks like Three offer a One Plan with 'all you can eat' data allowance. Comes with 2000 any network minutes, 5000 Three to Three minutes, 5000 texts, for £25/month with one month notice period if getting Sim Only.

Though how you find time to surf the internet when ploughing through all those minutes and texts is beyond me.
    Last edited by PAH; 20 February 2012, 12:39.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Don't think Zen is an option as the exchange is BT Wholesale only. i.e. no one has yet paid to use the LLU ability, so anyone offering a service has to buy it off BT who must enforce certain minimums on cost and contract length.
    You don't need LLU, just a BT phone line, but that will have a minimum period like you say.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    I'm curious, which network were you using in Germany? I hope not AOL!
    O2 or vodafone. As the download limits were quite low I had 2 x O2 sims (on PAYG) and I would top up the second if I exceeded the allowance on the first. I paid €25 for 5GB a month. The vodafone one was used for a period when 02 seemed to have some capacity issues in my area and I was only getting 1mbps or so. It was more expensive (€35 for 3GB / month IIRC) but you could buy more when it ran out, unlike O2 which would just throttle you back to 384k until the next renewal period.

I found some things like MSN video chat were blocked.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I used to when I was in Germany, it worked well enough but like you say the limits were a bit low.
    I'm curious, which network were you using in Germany? I hope not AOL!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Why not go there and try it? You can share your connection from your Android phone via WiFi (you did buy an Android phone didn't you?).

I would think the latency of dial up would make it horrible for remote desktop.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Don't think Zen is an option as the exchange is BT Wholesale only. i.e. no one has yet paid to use the LLU ability, so anyone offering a service has to buy it off BT who must enforce certain minimums on cost and contract length.

I did however notice Zen offer a dial-up connection as a backup. Now that's a blast from the past. Are there still free dial-up internet providers around, or did they all die with Freeserve?

Not sure how modem speeds would cope with current internet page sizes and remote desktop. I'd have to switch off Flash and use an Ad blocker to have a chance.

As for mobile broadband, going to see if my brother's works at the new location. Some coverage maps suggest it should be ok. At least the providers offer the money back if they can't provide the service.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    My first question would be how fast would your mobile broadband be and do you even have a decent signal. There are places I've been where I can see the mast and the signal has been dire as its focused on the town or motorway near by.

Also give up on the idea of p2p downloads.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Anyone using mobile broadband for their main internet access?

If so, how are you finding it in terms of reliability (when surfing for hours on end, as I'll need to do lengthy Windows Remote Desktop connections while working from home) and cost when compared to fixed line alternatives.

Moving to a new location soon and as the exchange only has BT, no competitors (LLU etc), they and their subsidiaries (Plusnet) are taking the piss by charging double or more for the line rental and broadband. All to do with Ofcom classing the exchange as Market 1 (I checked via SamKnows.com Exchange Search service). The price to pay for living in the countryside away from all the scum.

So where Plusnet offer line rental for £9.99 and basic broadband for £3 for first 12 months in their current special offer, at this particular exchange they want £30 a month. Then they estimate (accurate to within 1mpbs apparently) the speed will only be 7 or 8mbps. Then they say it'll take up to 3 weeks to flick a switch at the exchange. s

Also don't fancy being tied to a 12 month contract for the line rental as chances are I'll be moving again before then, so mobile broadband seems to make sense. I can also take it with me when visiting client sites and staying in hotels without decent internet access.

Not sure yet how much typical bandwidth I'd need a month for general surfing and lengthy Windows Remote Desktop connections (even if I avoid downloading anything over a few MB), but the typically measly inclusive allowances of between 1gb and 15gb month for up to £30/month makes me weary that it could get expensive if I'm relying on it solely for all my internet access needs.

Maybe the service will be more attractive when they go 4G.
    I used to when I was in Germany, it worked well enough but like you say the limits were a bit low. I use three in the UK, I pay £15 for 10GB or something, which I use on client sites but not at home. Coverage is variable, you might find it doesn't work very well if you are as out in the sticks as you sound, or it could be OK for general surfing but no good for remote desktop.

Have a look at Zen for broadband, they aren't the cheapest but they offer a monthly rolling contract for broadband.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    started a topic Mobile broadband instead of fixed line?

Mobile broadband instead of fixed line?

Anyone using mobile broadband for their main internet access?

If so, how are you finding it in terms of reliability (when surfing for hours on end, as I'll need to do lengthy Windows Remote Desktop connections while working from home) and cost when compared to fixed line alternatives.

Moving to a new location soon and as the exchange only has BT, no competitors (LLU etc), they and their subsidiaries (Plusnet) are taking the piss by charging double or more for the line rental and broadband. All to do with Ofcom classing the exchange as Market 1 (I checked via SamKnows.com Exchange Search service). The price to pay for living in the countryside away from all the scum.

So where Plusnet offer line rental for £9.99 and basic broadband for £3 for first 12 months in their current special offer, at this particular exchange they want £30 a month. Then they estimate (accurate to within 1mpbs apparently) the speed will only be 7 or 8mbps. Then they say it'll take up to 3 weeks to flick a switch at the exchange. s

Also don't fancy being tied to a 12 month contract for the line rental as chances are I'll be moving again before then, so mobile broadband seems to make sense. I can also take it with me when visiting client sites and staying in hotels without decent internet access.

Not sure yet how much typical bandwidth I'd need a month for general surfing and lengthy Windows Remote Desktop connections (even if I avoid downloading anything over a few MB), but the typically measly inclusive allowances of between 1gb and 15gb month for up to £30/month makes me weary that it could get expensive if I'm relying on it solely for all my internet access needs.

Maybe the service will be more attractive when they go 4G.

Working...
X