• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time to buy a new laptop - which is best for around £1K"

Collapse

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    Don't get a Sony. In my experience they're badly put together and not very resilient.

I bought a Vaio and regretted it completely, bits of it falling off after a few months and having to be glued back on....And I really look after my stuff so it wasnt me being heavy handed,
    I've had a Vaio VPCF13S0E for a while now (8 months plus) and it's been great

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Friday night and you are buying a laptop? That's sad.
    What are you doing? Pot noodling furiously?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Friday night and you are buying a laptop? That's sad.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    How close to the £1k was it?
    Top spec (i7, 8 GB RAM) was just over £1,100 from Lenovo site. Massive discount on there compared to usual retailers.
    Well pleased TBH, although the X1 has its flaws, it's horses for courses and will do me well.
    Took about 3 tries to actually buy the thing on their dire site though.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    How close to the £1k was it?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Have decided on a Thinkpad X1 (i7,8 GB RAM) because (1) good keyboard (2) Has a mini displayport so can use my iMac 27 inch as screen (3) quite a tough laptop with 3 year guarantee
    Now if only Lenovo's tulipe site would let me spend the money

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Chiclet keyboards I believe they are called, I'm not that keen it's like going back to the rubber buttons of the ZX Spectrum. Saying that, I'm daft enough to pay 80 notes for my very noisey Das III mechanical keyboard, I love it.

qh
    It was the half-sized cursor keys that really put me off. They must be the most useful and commonly used keys (at least if you're a code monkey they are), so making them half sized because some designer decided it looks pretty is insane.

It turned up this morning, though I haven't had a chance to even switch it on yet.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I gave into temptation and bought an XPS15 (L502x) from Dell Outlet. That's £500 for an i7 Sandy Bridge, with 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD and with both the Intel graphics for battery saving and and NVidia something or other for games (not that I'm likely to play games on it). I'll probably spend another £130 on an SSD and turn the existing drive into an external USB one for if I need the storage. So that's a pretty high spec machine for ~£600.
    I have 2 XPS laptops, a mobile 13" and a larger 17", bought back in 2007, still running fine.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Chiclet keyboards I believe they are called, I'm not that keen it's like going back to the rubber buttons of the ZX Spectrum. Saying that, I'm daft enough to pay 80 notes for my very noisey Das III mechanical keyboard, I love it.

qh
    I have a Razor mechanical keyboard, love it except for the spacing/design of the Caps Lock key. Keep pressing it when going for an "A".

I used to have an old IBM mechanical until a couple of years back.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 14 March 2012, 09:57.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Plus the keyboards look crap on those (i.e. copied from the MacBook).

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 14 March 2012, 09:48.

Leave a comment:

• Friday Blue
    replied
    I gave into temptation and bought an XPS15 (L502x) from Dell Outlet. That's £500 for an i7 Sandy Bridge, with 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD and with both the Intel graphics for battery saving and and NVidia something or other for games (not that I'm likely to play games on it). I'll probably spend another £130 on an SSD and turn the existing drive into an external USB one for if I need the storage. So that's a pretty high spec machine for ~£600.

I was tempted by the thin and light (though "light" is a bit of a lie) XPS15z Mac Book clone for a couple of hundred more, but in the end decided I'm not really interested in pose value and want something that can be a desktop replacement. Plus the keyboards look crap on those (i.e. copied from the MacBook).

The equivalent MacBook is over £2K, and you don't even get a copy of Windows.

Only thing that's annoying me is that it hasn't turned up yet. I ordered over a week ago, and initially they said yesterday but are now saying next Monday. They don't need to build these outlet machines especially, so I was expecting it in a couple of days.
    i bought an asus X53e similar spec from comet for 499 few weeks back. havent got round to change the HDD to SDD and it is VERY slow in terms of loading speed. hopefully when i have time i will swap the HDD out. but running programs has been a major improvement over..well...my 3 years old celeron.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Vandalay View Post
    Recently had dilemma as using my own laptop on client site for Excel development, but it's a mac. Installed bootcamp & windows 7. Works a dream and very glad I didn't buy a PC
    Just imagine the nightmare work would be if you didn't have to jump through all those hoops just to do your job

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied

I was tempted by the thin and light (though "light" is a bit of a lie) XPS15z Mac Book clone for a couple of hundred more, but in the end decided I'm not really interested in pose value and want something that can be a desktop replacement. Plus the keyboards look crap on those (i.e. copied from the MacBook).

The equivalent MacBook is over £2K, and you don't even get a copy of Windows.

Only thing that's annoying me is that it hasn't turned up yet. I ordered over a week ago, and initially they said yesterday but are now saying next Monday. They don't need to build these outlet machines especially, so I was expecting it in a couple of days.

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    Recently had dilemma as using my own laptop on client site for Excel development, but it's a mac. Installed bootcamp & windows 7. Works a dream and very glad I didn't buy a PC

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Anyone with a Thinkpad T420s?

Thoughts good or bad?

qh

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Cheers for the comments/advice.

qh

Leave a comment: