• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Firefox 5 released

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Firefox 5 released"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Mozilla tells large corporations to get on their bikes

Big cheeses at the the open source outfit Mozilla have told corporate users who don't like its breakneck upgrade cycle to get lost.

This week Mozilla Corporation shipped Firefox 5 which was only three months after it shipped Firefox 4. In six weeks we will see Firefox 6, and Firefox 7 six weeks after that. So Mozilla is releasing upgrades as fast as its browser rival Chrome.

But Mozilla seems to have had an attack of grumpiness about the problems of corporate users. Firefox evangelist Asa Dotzler posted a comment on Kaply's post to tell him that they could all go forth and multiply.

Basically he seems to think that with two million Firefox downloads per day from regular user types, Mozilla does not need corporate users. He said that the enterprise has never been, and shouldn't be a Mozilla focus.

He added that a minute spent making a corporate user happy can better be spent making many regular users happy.

Leave a comment:

• Jason Mitchell
    replied
    Can't wait to try out the new FF5. FF4 is such a disappointment. Liked the older one way more.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Improved HTML5 support, CSS Animations, various security and performance improvements; more info in the release notes, or you can see a list of every single change together with a link to the associated bugzilla entry.
    Fluff or substance?

I note that Mozilla have stepped up their upgrade campaign. I recently installed 3.6 on an old machine and was greeted with an update to 3.7. When upgrading to that I was greeted with "Nearly there, now please upgrade to 4".

At that point I went back to 3.5 and ignored update pleas

(I have a good reason for this, it's only on one system, and I only access specific sites from that instance)

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Buggy piece of tulip. Opening a new tab slows the whole machine down, massive CPU usage. On Chrome now. Just stick with v3 IMO.
    Seems like normal FireFox behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Crikey, that was quick - I haven't even got around to upgrading to FF4 yet

Firefox web browser | International versions: Get Firefox in your language
    Lol me neither, on FF4 first release since its stable .....

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Buggy piece of tulip. Opening a new tab slows the whole machine down, massive CPU usage. On Chrome now. Just stick with v3 IMO.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    I noticed some extensions that are already compatible up to Firefox 6.x so I guess it's just PR stunt to get more people at every "major" release (which would probably be called 3.7.8 in the old days).
    Anyone noticed anything, any "major" change?? THe URL at the bottom perhaps?
    Improved HTML5 support, CSS Animations, various security and performance improvements; more info in the release notes, or you can see a list of every single change together with a link to the associated bugzilla entry.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I had updated to FF4 a few days ago and the update advisor today recommended upgrading to fix a security flaw, and the product version is showing at 5.0 now. I preferred the 3.6 interface personally.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    I noticed some extensions that are already compatible up to Firefox 6.x so I guess it's just PR stunt to get more people at every "major" release (which would probably be called 3.7.8 in the old days).
    Anyone noticed anything, any "major" change?? THe URL at the bottom perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I dread new browsers because I'm developing a site at the moment and not much has changed since the browser war days really. They all still have their quirks. Just installed the Firefox Mobile browser on my Android phone and found it does a couple of odd things which the iPhone, HTC, Blackberry and even Windows 7 Mobile browsers don't do. More issues to fix then. Is anyone really likely to start using Firefox Mobile? The native browsers on most the Androids are very good. Firefox seem to have included Add-ons on Mobile though, so I guess that could be an attraction for some people. Geeks anyway.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    started a topic Firefox 5 released

Firefox 5 released

Crikey, that was quick - I haven't even got around to upgrading to FF4 yet

Firefox web browser | International versions: Get Firefox in your language

Working...
X