• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Background hiss on Skype"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Doesn't everybody have a suction phone thingy attached to an amp? Must spend hours a day holding a phone to your ear if not. If I have to listen to Holst's Four Seasons yet again I'd rather do summit else while I'm listening.

PS They work great as cable detectors too. So does a cheap 1970s am radio although I expect only me and Zeitghost have one of those.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 24 June 2011, 09:08.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    A non-flat-screen monitor (etc) can cause hiss in an audio lead if too close
    RC is right but actually a modern TFT screen does as well. If you have one of those suction pad phone pickups attached to an amp put it a few inches from the screen, it hisses like crazy.

PS Just tried it, actually it's more a high pitch whine.

PPS No actually, it depends where you put, some areas more like a mains buzz, some bits whine, some bits hiss, loudness varies a lot too. My screen is a little orchestra!
    Last edited by xoggoth; 23 June 2011, 20:29.

Leave a comment:

• Jason Mitchell
    replied
    If the 3.5mm jack where you plugin the headset is spoilt you do get a disturbance in the background.

Leave a comment:

• palmgeo
    replied
    Have you tried other mic?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    So, have you sorted out your ChatRoulette issues yet?

ChatrouletteFunny Link: Crying for the Dead
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    So, have you sorted out your ChatRoulette issues yet?

ChatrouletteFunny Link: Crying for the Dead

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Get a Mac.
    Get thee behind me satan, how dare you utter such filth

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Get a Mac.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    The headset is just as bad as the external mic which is odd
    Did any of my random suggestions help? Is it interference?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Use an external headset with a mic.

You can ones that work well enough from Staples for about £6.

The problems with using just an external mic is that you have to play around with it being the right distance from your mouth. With a headset it's just a case of lowering or upping the mic volume.
    The headset is just as bad as the external mic which is odd

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Use an external headset with a mic.

You can ones that work well enough from Staples for about £6.

The problems with using just an external mic is that you have to play around with it being the right distance from your mouth. With a headset it's just a case of lowering or upping the mic volume.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by ee61re View Post
    Does the hiss go away if you mute the mic?
    Will try that tomorrow and see if it works

Leave a comment:

• ee61re
    replied
    Does the hiss go away if you mute the mic?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    No hiss on any of the machines here when using Skype, it's actually better than my landline. Could it fan noise?
    Could be, though one of us is using the in built mic and the other is using a logitec headset.

Both are sony vaio laptops. The sounds seems to be the same from both, the suggestion of fan does sound the most probable.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    No hiss on any of the machines here when using Skype, it's actually better than my landline. Could it fan noise?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X