• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wireless network adapters for TVs?"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    I just replaced my wi-fi to the lounge with an ethernet over power (ebuyer 200mbps ... 1000mbps wasn't available at that price at the time) because I was finding iplayer over wi-fi wasn't good - no problems now though.

So personally I'd take the power over ethernet route, unless you live close to a radio ham.
    I think I’m going to do the same, I moved a PC into the dining room and bought a Belkin N300mbps dongle (just to future proof) but the signal was poor even the though the ‘G’ router was only 4m away and through one wall.

Reading the gumph about ‘N’ having greater range and a stronger signal than ‘G’ I just upgraded to a D-Link N300mbps router, I’m seriously pissed off that the signal is no better. Maybe the dongle is the weak link??

I’m sure wireless is fine in modern houses with paper thin walls but no good for me.

Saying that, my mother lives in a Victorian house with foot thick stone internal walls and her cheapo orange box has no trouble communicating with her IPTV 15m away through 2 walls.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I just replaced my wi-fi to the lounge with an ethernet over power (ebuyer 200mbps ... 1000mbps wasn't available at that price at the time) because I was finding iplayer over wi-fi wasn't good - no problems now though.

So personally I'd take the power over ethernet route, unless you live close to a radio ham.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Ah, I was envisaging it just 'beaming' ethernet wirelessly without having to do all that other stuff. Guess ethernet just doesn't bend that way

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    This all seems a bit OTT - maybe there's a good technical reason but why can't you get an ethernet plug with a wireless dongle attached for £10 - I'm thinking just like the USB ones but ethernet instead?
    Well, to do that you need pretty much everything that is in a WiFi dongle + some extra memory and processing capacity to allow it to build up a database of MAC addresses, filter packets based on MAC address, store and forward packets etc. You also need a power supply.

You can actually pick all of this up for around £20-30.

TP LINK 54Mbps Wireless Access Point (TL-WA500G) - dabs.com

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    This all seems a bit OTT - maybe there's a good technical reason but why can't you get an ethernet plug with a wireless dongle attached for £10 - I'm thinking just like the USB ones but ethernet instead?

Some of those bridges look closest but still not as simple.
    Usb can run power to your wireless dongle, Ethernet does not,

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Some of those bridges look closest but still not as simple.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    My TV has an ethernet socket but is too far from the router to use a cable. Does such a thing exist as an ethernet wireless adapter, basically an ethernet plug with a wireless dongle on the end?

I've done some searching but all I keep getting are USB wifi dongles, is there some search term I am missing?
    Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Extends your wireless network or use as a bridge back to your Router i have one in my office running 4 cabled PCs into the ethernet ports on the back and then it bridge,s back to the router over wireless, it shows on the box a tv, games console or PC so should work ok for your TV and it was so easy to setup just follow the instructions

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    You wouldn't have to, these would be an addition.

This is exactly what I have, powerline to get the internet upstairs, wifi for my laptop/iPhone.
    Indeed.

Extra Value 1000Mbps Powerline Adapter Twin Pack - NEW | Ebuyer.com

Plug your router/cable modem into one of these and then have wired fast network anywhere in the house for devices that don't have wifi.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I don't want to totally re-do my home network just to get one device working... many of my devices like Wii and PS3 are WiFi and possibly are WiFi-only.
    You wouldn't have to, these would be an addition.

This is exactly what I have, powerline to get the internet upstairs, wifi for my laptop/iPhone.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ee61re View Post
    Howabout using powerline networking, maybe either Devolo or Netgear kit.
    I don't want to totally re-do my home network just to get one device working... many of my devices like Wii and PS3 are WiFi and possibly are WiFi-only.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'm in an area where I cannot get Freeview, so have two Sky Boxes. I don't see the point of paying for two considering the kids only need the freeview channels. Obviously I can can get freeview through my broadband/computer. Can I plug cable into a TV if it has the right network sockets and how does that work? (I dont do hardware obviously)
    As I write this I'm watching the F1 Forum on iPlayer on my Sony TV connected direct to my ADSL router. Pleanty of Blu ray and freesat/freeview boxes can do the same.

But, you don't need a subscription to use a Sky box as a Freesat box. Just unplug the card.

Leave a comment:

• ee61re
    replied
    My TV has an ethernet socket but is too far from the router to use a cable. Does such a thing exist as an ethernet wireless adapter, basically an ethernet plug with a wireless dongle on the end?

I've done some searching but all I keep getting are USB wifi dongles, is there some search term I am missing?
    Howabout using powerline networking, maybe either Devolo or Netgear kit.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

I have no idea if this is related but will jump in as well.

I'm in an area where I cannot get Freeview, so have two Sky Boxes. I don't see the point of paying for two considering the kids only need the freeview channels. Obviously I can can get freeview through my broadband/computer. Can I plug cable into a TV if it has the right network sockets and how does that work? (I dont do hardware obviously)

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    wifi bridge - Google Search

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Wireless network adapters for TVs?

Wireless network adapters for TVs?

Working...
X