• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Changing user names in Active Directory"

Collapse

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Does anyone know of any tools or methods for automating a change of name for AD accounts?

Due to an integration program with parent co. IT systems we may have to rename all out AD accounts to match the new corporate naming convention.
    You can leverage the ADSI API with prett ymuch any scripting language, VBscript, Powershell will have loads of scripts all over the internet. other languages can be used

Or use the inbuilt tools available on a Domain Controller such as dsmod

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Sadly not. The standard tools will let you do it on a case by case basis but are not practical for circa 5000 users given the time it would take and the scope for human error in the process.

I'm leaning towards a VB script, something like this:
    DaveB

If you would like to sling me a script to create a few thousand users, I would be more than happy to do some testing on your behalf. No, I don't want real usernames; just something to test my newfound Windows Server and AD skills on.

As an addendum, if you wish to change attributes in AD, have a look at AttributeChanger (scroll down past the German to the example to see what it can do).

If you have trouble registering for the download on account of it all being in German, drop me a PM and I will assist.
    Last edited by Sysman; 2 October 2010, 15:55. Reason: addendum added

Leave a comment:

• biondani
    replied
    Take a look at the admod tool AdMod

admod -b "<DN>" samaccountname::<new username> userprincipalname::<UPN> givenname::<forename> sn::<surname>

Ian

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Is there nothing in the Admin tools that fits the bill?

In my techiedays, I always found Petri to be a handy resource for advice.
    Sadly not. The standard tools will let you do it on a case by case basis but are not practical for circa 5000 users given the time it would take and the scope for human error in the process.

I'm leaning towards a VB script, something like this:

Code:
    set objCont = GetObject("LDAP://" & ParentDN)
    objCont.MoveHere "LDAP://cn=" & UserOldName & "," & ParentDN, "cn=" &
    UserNewName
    set objUser = GetObject("LDAP://cn=" & UserNewName & "," & ParentDN)
    objUser.Put "name", UserNewName
    objUser.SetInfo
    Reading from a spreadsheet of original and target names.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Is there nothing in the Admin tools that fits the bill?

In my techiedays, I always found Petri to be a handy resource for advice.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    started a topic Changing user names in Active Directory

Changing user names in Active Directory

Does anyone know of any tools or methods for automating a change of name for AD accounts?

Due to an integration program with parent co. IT systems we may have to rename all out AD accounts to match the new corporate naming convention.

Working...
X