• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Acer Aspire One Boot issues"

Collapse

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Normie View Post
    I installed Ubuntu NBR on my Aspire One - much better IMHO.

Just google for it and you'll find details on how to put the ISO on a USB stick using unetbootin and boot/install from there.
    WHS

(But first I ditched the SSD and replaced it with an HDD from an iPod )

Leave a comment:

• Normie
    replied
    I installed Ubuntu NBR on my Aspire One - much better IMHO.

Just google for it and you'll find details on how to put the ISO on a USB stick using unetbootin and boot/install from there.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Sorted it

I removed ~/.config. This has settings for the xfce.
    Reboot and bingo - all back to normal.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    State of play is that the machine boots now, however the desktop (xfce) is not being displayed, just stiped lines.

I can launch a terminal and use xfce commands, but can't get it to a stable desktop after startup.

I just want to get back to the custom version of xfce desktop

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Could well be display config mangled somehow. Do you see the BIOS on boot or is that when the dispay goes wonky? If you get clear BIOS screen then mangled O/S and we may be able to help you. If mangled pre-BIOS then machine mangled and a bit harder to sort...
    I can see the BIOS settings fine, although I am going to try and update the bios tonight to a new version.
    The current one doesn't charge the battery - so I have downloaded the latest version and will try booting from usb this evening.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Could well be display config mangled somehow. Do you see the BIOS on boot or is that when the dispay goes wonky? If you get clear BIOS screen then mangled O/S and we may be able to help you. If mangled pre-BIOS then machine mangled and a bit harder to sort...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Got problems like that on an ancient laptop that seem to be temperature related. Stripey screen when cold ok when warm.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    was it left in the car boot over night? might have picked up some condensation
    No, it was working fine upto the point of me powering it on at friends house !

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Not yet.

I did see it booting fine on Friday as I had to do several live updates to it in order to get messenger to work.
    After the updates everything was fine.

It was only when I was taking it back to friends last night that the issue with striped display happened.
    was it left in the car boot over night? might have picked up some condensation

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Have you tried bleeding the radiator ?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Not yet.

I did see it booting fine on Friday as I had to do several live updates to it in order to get messenger to work.

It was only when I was taking it back to friends last night that the issue with striped display happened.
    Drop it again, you may just "fix" it...

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    have you tried attaching an external monitor?
    Not yet.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    have you tried attaching an external monitor?

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    started a topic Acer Aspire One Boot issues

Acer Aspire One Boot issues

I've been handed an acer aspire by a friend as it "doesn't work".

It has a linux distro on it - Linpus I think

However after booting up the display is just thickish black and white horizontal lines and nothing else.

Any clues on best way to rectify this ?
    Last edited by FiveTimes; 10 May 2010, 07:50.

Working...
X