• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Internet on Trains

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Internet on Trains"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    I thought they were doing it with WiMax between posts alongside the tracks. I read somewhere the original Virgin system used a combination of wiMax, satellite, and regular WiFi in the stations. They probably also now use 3G as a fallback.

But I might be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Would that even be possible on a tilting, shifting, vibrating train doing 125 through trees and tunnels?
    Well, it is possible on a tilting, shifting and vibrating Boeing 747 doing 485 mph ..

GSM does not normally work in tunnels too ?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    They should have invested in satellite internet
    Would that even be possible on a tilting, shifting, vibrating train doing 125 through trees and tunnels?

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    On how it works? If you look there are little alcatel boxes on the side of the engines. I assume they are just mobiles really, blame the mobile operators as they cannot provide a decent speed, it is not the train operators who are the weak link.
    They should have invested in satellite internet

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    For some reason, the T-mobile service on this train has identified me as being in Germany - so no BBC videos, and Google is in German.
    EastCoast's internet is from Sweden, you get redirected to google.se

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by vandiss View Post
    How does this service compare to Scotrail's (via Falkirk)?
    Purely on the train service? I much prefer it, carriages are much quieter, less stops, trains a cleaner and the staff don't have the attitude that scotrail staff do. Plus there is the bar in the evening. Usually more reliable as there are fewer trains on that line.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    For some reason, the T-mobile service on this train has identified me as being in Germany - so no BBC videos, and Google is in German.

Code:
    Ort der IP Adresse: Bonn in Germany	
    ISP: T-Mobile Deutschland GmbH
    Last edited by The Wikir Man; 19 April 2010, 07:11.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Ports can be one thing - but I've also had issues with some places (hotels etc.) using a double-NATing that the Cisco VPN Server didn't like.

Basically identifying my computer as a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend etc. which got it's knickers in a twist.

In theory it should still work, but none of us could be arsed to work out why given the advent of 3G dongles.

Some 3G dongles can be very fussy on trains for a variety of reasons (Faraday cage, 25Kv of electricity, contention with everyone chatting) whereas a voice call uses considerably less bandwidth.
    Last edited by centurian; 18 April 2010, 19:57.

Leave a comment:

• vandiss
    replied
    I get on the east coast every day and internet is fine, mind you there are bugger all people on it between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
    How does this service compare to Scotrail's (via Falkirk)? O2's 3G coverage on that line is crap, would be great if Scotrail brought in WiFi - even Citylink buses have it, FFS!

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Would suspect that the ports you need open are shut and they are just allowing web browsing / e-mail through.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I get on the east coast every day and internet is fine, mind you there are bugger all people on it between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

On how it works? If you look there are little alcatel boxes on the side of the engines. I assume they are just mobiles really, blame the mobile operators as they cannot provide a decent speed, it is not the train operators who are the weak link.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    And while we're on the subject, how is internet delivered to the train?
    About 10 years ago a friend of mine did first trial installations, they were using gyroscopic ally stabilised dishes and satellite uplink at ca £1mil per train and the Internet was slow with high latency.
    How is it done nowadays?
    I think they use carrier pigeons, but do not quote me on that.

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Vpn

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Darren is an accountant not IT bod... lots of small words, no techie talk, delivered nice and slowly.....

Laptop, workie not on trainie. Connection not good. Man with screwdriver fix. Happies connection. Thank you.
    Sad but true, mere accountant!

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    east coast line's internet is useless, even CUK takes ages to load
    That's nowt to do with East Coasts internet connx but due to all the bilge clogging up the board.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
    Happens all the time, using the east coast line. Logged in through Internet explorer, it finds the VPN but won't connect. Sounds like an issue for our IT people!
    east coast line's internet is useless, even CUK takes ages to load

Leave a comment:

Working...
X