• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DVD conversion tools"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    BTW, if you don't need to conserve space or bandwidth, don't bother to transcode it. Aside from the time saved, you will get to watch in original DVD quality.

Yeah, now disk space is so cheap and plentiful I too mainly stick to DVD-Shrink or DVDDecrypt.

Did at one time convert some to DivX/Xvid using AutoGK (when I had a media centre that couldn't handle large file sizes), but don't bother now in case I ever upgrade my TV to a 100" monster where every pixel counts.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    BTW, if you don't need to conserve space or bandwidth, don't bother to transcode it. Aside from the time saved, you will get to watch in original DVD quality.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    http://handbrake.fr/ <- The daddy + free
    WHS - with a zang a zip and a zoododeda, <thank you george>

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Thanks all!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I use xilisoft DVD Ripper
    It's not free but the GUI is simple and painless and it works without having to resort to googling.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    WHS - tho naturally it works better on a Mac. VisualHub was good too if you can still find it - it is out there in the usual places.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I mostly use avidemux for format conversions.

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

You could also give the (free) windows media encoder a go.

Changing containers (i.e. making an mpeg file containing the existing data stream) is fairly quick but transcoding (i.e. recompressing the data stream) can be time consuming, you'll want to use the most powerful machine you can find. That's true of any program you will use though. You can get GPU accelerated transcoders, they might be worth checking out if your card supports it.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I use DVDShrink to create an iso file.

Then transfer to either laptop or usb stick.

Then use Daemon Tools for mounting a virtual drive and bingo - you can watch the iso with standard DVD players

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    started a topic DVD conversion tools

DVD conversion tools

Ok chaps, I have a shed-load of DVDs that I wish to convert to Div-X (or better format if you have one to recommend) so that I can put them on my (optical drive-less) laptop for viewing while away from the comfort of my own loo-seat.

Please will you post your suggestions for a suitable utility? (preferably a free utility as I'm a developer and a Lancastrian which means I don't like paying for software...)

I have DVD-Shrink, DVDDecrypt etc. and am currently running Windows but do have access to Linux in a VM.

Cheers in advance,

Churchill

Working...
X