• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Comms timeout

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Comms timeout"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    AFAIK, the IP address is fixed. I've shut SAP and the database down, as I'm skiing tomorrow and visiting a client on Wednesday. If the problem doesn't recur, then I'll assume it's a SAP/db issue.

Updating the network card drivers is a good idea too, I'll give that a go.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I think I had a network card powering itself off once, and it was only fixed with an updated driver.

If that's what's happening, it probably explains the DHCP error rather than the other way around. In my experience IP addresses don't change just because you're using DHCP, although I guess a DHCP server could be setup that way.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Netweaver and MaxDB. Good idea though - I'll check other power saving options.
    The Netweaver App server is definitely not gonna like its IP changed from under it, or it being lost for a bit, might recover a renewal but a different IP is bound to trip it up, if that's what's happening.

So I reckon fixed IP, make sure ur gateway is correct and DNS works, take all power saving off, restart the lot (Windows!) and monitor it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Netweaver and MaxDB. Good idea though - I'll check other power saving options.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Whilst I'm no SAP expert I would contradict the statement that it requires a DHCP IP, in fact, I'd go on to say any server should have a fixed IP as a matter of course.

Imagine if it's lease expired and it tried to get a new one, and got a different IP during a huge batch-type transaction?

Is the box running Netweaver and/or Oracle?

Also never a good idea to have power-saving on a server!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    i just checked. We've had the same problem - and this time without a DHCP error in the event viewer. We had something similar last year that turned out to be a couple of the network cards set to power down after a period of inactivity. I've checked, and the setting is fine - they don't (or shouldn't) power down.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The server (which runs an SAP development system) belongs to my company in the US. It sits in my business partner's airconditioned kitchen. ( You know, washing maching, dryer, dishwasher, fridge, server ).

The problem is that neither of us know much about networks and servers! I believe that we have to run DHCP in order for SAP to run. So it could be a SAP problem rather than an OS problem, which is more hopeful for me as I know something about SAP!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Indeed. Why would a DHCP server refuse a request? Perhaps only because there were too many things on the network and it had ran out of addresses, but then how did your server get its address in the first place? Weird.

That would seem to explain the problem. Presumably this isn't a paid for hosted server somewhere? Otherwise this sort of thing would be their problem.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Well, that DHCP one would be worth following up. It might be it's getting assigned a different address when it renews.

Out of interest, why is a server using DHCP?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Well, the event viewer (system), has a few errors in it,
    DCOM -
    The server {xxxxxxxxxxx} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Dhcp - The IP address lease x.xx.xxx.xxx for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxx has been denied by the DHCP server x.x.x.x (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    event log?

some sort of script that periodicly logs a traceroute to a file?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It's definitely the server losing connection to the internet. Can't ftp it either - when it's in that state.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Has the server lost its connection to the internet, or is it that whatever "TeamViewer"'s server is has fallen over? I.e. can you connect to the machine via FTP/WWW, or anything else?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    started a topic Comms timeout

Comms timeout

I've a server running Windows Server 2003 R2. I connect to it remotely using TeamViewer, which works fine. However, every now and then, the server loses its connection to the Internet, and so I can't connect to it remotely.

Any pointers on how to begin to troubleshoot this issue gratefully received!

thanks

Working...
X