• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: MySQL Basics

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MySQL Basics"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Trouble is getting the Linux box onto ClientCos VPN. More hassle that it's worth. I have an XP lappy on their VPN so the easiest thing is to try and get the windows command line client installed.

Cannot see it anywhere on their site though. Girly "GUI" tools yes, manly "command line tools" have been removed.
    Or install a virtual machine on the XP laptop and run Linux on it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Is the 'old' MySQL now called "Community Server?"
    Yup.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    I suspect that's the case. I imagine that you can choose from the 'Community Server' (with limited support from the community) or some kind of "corporate edition" where they charge you a squillion pounds a year for their "enterprise level" support.

Hopefully if you download and run the installer, you'll get an option to install client tools only - a bit like you do with MSSQL.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    I suspect that's the case. I imagine that you can choose from the 'Community Server' (with limited support from the community) or some kind of "corporate edition" where they charge you a squillion pounds a year for their "enterprise level" support.

Hopefully if you download and run the installer, you'll get an option to install client tools only - a bit like you do with MSSQL.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

All I can see on the downloads page is

MySQL Community Server.
    MySQL Cluster
    MySQL Workbench
    MySQL Proxy
    MySQL Connectors

So which one is it? Doesn't look like any of them to me.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Hmm... MySQL themselves seem to think mysql.exe should be in: "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\":

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...n-layouts.html

If not, you might be best off doing a search for "mysql.exe" on the local drive and letting Windows chug away for 15 minutes while you make a soothing cup of tea. You sound a bit stressed like!
    Just a wee bit hacked off that a "I'll just write this simple stored procedure" has turned into a marathon tools search, google fest, CUK thread.

I don't want to install MySQL. Only the client tools.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Got a spare box? Any Linux distro will give you the option to install MySQL or will install it by default along with Apache and PHP.
    Trouble is getting the Linux box onto ClientCos VPN. More hassle that it's worth. I have an XP lappy on their VPN so the easiest thing is to try and get the windows command line client installed.

Cannot see it anywhere on their site though. Girly "GUI" tools yes, manly "command line tools" have been removed.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    And what is one of those? Man alive since oracle got their mits on MySQL they've buggered around with the site. All I can find is MySQL workbench or QB. I don't want a full MySQL install just the client tools.
    Hmm... MySQL themselves seem to think mysql.exe should be in: "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\":

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...n-layouts.html

If not, you might be best off doing a search for "mysql.exe" on the local drive and letting Windows chug away for 15 minutes while you make a soothing cup of tea. You sound a bit stressed like!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    And what is one of those? Man alive since oracle got their mits on MySQL they've buggered around with the site. All I can find is MySQL workbench or QB. I don't want a full MySQL install just the client tools.
    Got a spare box? Any Linux distro will give you the option to install MySQL or will install it by default along with Apache and PHP.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    The proper command util is called 'mysql':

Code:
    ######@########:~$ mysql -u(username) -p(password)
    On a normal mysql installation, it should live in the mysql binary directory - something along the lines of "c:\program files\mysql\bin\".

If you provide the "-p" parameter without specifying a password, it should prompt you for one.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    The proper command util is called 'mysql':

Code:
    ######@########:~$ mysql -u(username) -p(password)
    On a normal mysql installation, it should live in the mysql binary directory - something along the lines of "c:\program files\mysql\bin\".

If you provide the "-p" parameter without specifying a password, it should prompt you for one.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Does help Chicane, it means I'm not going nuts.

MySQL Query browser under XP is a bad idea. Buggy heap of crap.

Do you know what the 'proper' command based util is called?
    This behaviour is by design apparently.

Linky

Thank you for the bug report. This is an expected behavior because by
    design QB uses a new connection for each query, there is already a
    feature request to change this behavior.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    This probably won't help you much - but it works fine from here:

Code:
    mysql> create database myDB;
    Query OK, 1 row affected (0.13 sec)

mysql> DELIMITER $$
    mysql> 
    mysql> DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS `myDB`.`getCurrentPeriodId` $$
    Query OK, 0 rows affected, 1 warning (0.40 sec)

mysql> CREATE PROCEDURE `myDB`.`getCurrentPeriodId` (OUT currentPeriodId INT)
        -> BEGIN
        ->     SET currentPeriodId = 500;
        -> END $$
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.37 sec)

mysql> 
    mysql> DELIMITER ;
    mysql> CALL `myDB`.`getCurrentPeriodId`(@currentPeriodId);
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.08 sec)

mysql> SELECT @currentPeriodId;
    +------------------+
    | @currentPeriodId |
    +------------------+
    | 500              | 
    +------------------+
    1 row in set (0.06 sec)
    mysql version details:

Code:
    #####@###########:~$ mysql --version
    mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2
    Does help Chicane, it means I'm not going nuts.

MySQL Query browser under XP is a bad idea. Buggy heap of crap.

Do you know what the 'proper' command based util is called?

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    This probably won't help you much - but it works fine from here:

Code:
    mysql> create database myDB;
    Query OK, 1 row affected (0.13 sec)

mysql> DELIMITER $$
    mysql> 
    mysql> DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS `myDB`.`getCurrentPeriodId` $$
    Query OK, 0 rows affected, 1 warning (0.40 sec)

mysql> CREATE PROCEDURE `myDB`.`getCurrentPeriodId` (OUT currentPeriodId INT)
        -> BEGIN
        ->     SET currentPeriodId = 500;
        -> END $$
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.37 sec)

mysql> 
    mysql> DELIMITER ;
    mysql> CALL `myDB`.`getCurrentPeriodId`(@currentPeriodId);
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.08 sec)

mysql> SELECT @currentPeriodId;
    +------------------+
    | @currentPeriodId |
    +------------------+
    | 500              | 
    +------------------+
    1 row in set (0.06 sec)
    mysql version details:

Code:
    #####@###########:~$ mysql --version
    mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    started a topic MySQL Basics

MySQL Basics

I need to get this MySQL stored proc working. I have omitted the guts and glory and gone right back to basics and even that won't frakin work

I am not by any stretch a MySQL developer so please be patient.

Code:
    DELIMITER $$

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS `myDB`.`getCurrentPeriodId` $$
    CREATE PROCEDURE `myDB`.`getCurrentPeriodId` (OUT currentPeriodId INT)
    BEGIN
        SET currentPeriodId = 500;
    END $$

DELIMITER ;
    And I call it thusly

Code:
    CALL `myDB`.`getCurrentPeriodId`(@currentPeriodId);
    SELECT @currentPeriodId;
    And it returns NULL

Why?

Working...
X