• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "May be of interest to .NET devs who like Apple iwotnots"

Collapse

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    My bro is just about to launch his first iphone game:

http://www.wordcrasher.com
    Nice one!

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    My bro is just about to launch his first iphone game:

http://www.wordcrasher.com

He did it in C++ so it can be ported onto other mobile platforms easily.

Myself, I'm still working with the absolute basics of objective C. Woo hoo - I just made the screen say "Hello World" after pressing a button. I agree with Durbs about the event handler creation - it just sucks. Give me .NET any day.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    so I figure I might as well just stick with learning Objective-C.
    Very good money to be had in that game.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What is missing?
    $399 once I've bought that license

It seems like a decent option if you're looking to use your existing skills for iPhone stuff; I haven't touched C# in about five years, so I figure I might as well just stick with learning Objective-C.

Now if somebody had a tool that took XSLT and converted it to native code...

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    garbage collection that's a bonus.
    Very big bonus if you've dabbled in Objective C vs a .NET app.

Also event handler creation in xCode - WTF is all that about, its just wierd.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You wouldn't want winforms on an iphone, and ASP.NET runs on the webserver.

I think you are really missing the point.

You design the GUI on a Mac just as you would any iPhone app and you code the event handlers and logic in C# using the .NET framework.

Simples.

You can have an app up and running on the iPhone in minutes.

Try that using Objective C and API calls.

Oops, null pointer exception, memory leaks, CRASH!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Furthermore, you still need to learn the iPhone APIs on some level, as it just provides C# bindings to them according to the Features page.

I think I'll stick with learning Objective-C and the native APIs using Apple's free developer tools
    WHS. Anything worthwhile on the iPhone is going to be largely GUI based, and your knowledge of ASP .NET isn't going to help in the slightest (or Winforms/WPF/Silverlight if you're that way inclined).

But I guess if you can use the .NET string class and garbage collection that's a bonus. But I'd worry about the overheads of all that might be signifcant when running on a phone.

The new version of Adobe Flash can produce executables for the iPhone too (it's not the Flash player, Jobs still won't allow that). At least that's more designed for GUI work.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    $399 for a one-developer license (which only includes one year of updates).

The "extended subset" of .NET assemblies doesn't seem very extensive - then again it couldn't be, as it all has to either map to native APIs, or introduce massive bloat by re-implementing things.
    What is missing that you feel is essential for iPhone dev?

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    It's anoying one needs a Mac for Iphone dev.
    It is annoying and i was miffed that i had to buy a Mac when i wanted to dabble in XCode.

BUT, it did me a big favour as i'd have never considered getting a Mac yet ended up buying a Mac Mini for dev work. Its now taken over the role of my main office/email/intraweb PC in the lounge and i really like the thing.

If you get a Mini, its fairly cheap, quick and a superb piece of whisper quiet hardware.

To go back to the OP - i'm reading it now with interest as i never really got into the Mac IDE, worked out it'd take too much time i didn't have to learn it but i can pump out a .NET app in mere moments.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    $399 for a one-developer license (which only includes one year of updates).

The "extended subset" of .NET assemblies doesn't seem very extensive - then again it couldn't be, as it all has to either map to native APIs, or introduce massive bloat by re-implementing things.

Furthermore, you still need to learn the iPhone APIs on some level, as it just provides C# bindings to them according to the Features page.

I think I'll stick with learning Objective-C and the native APIs using Apple's free developer tools

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And how they include garbage collection into all that native code unless they prepack compiled version of Mono with the app (meaning it ought to be huge).

Also, they don't support Winforms, what would you use for UI on iPhone, WPF?

It's certainly interesting but then don't forget you'd probably need to get Apple to still "approve" your application, personally I hate this tulip with someone needing to approve my code - the only person who is entitled to do that is the user of the software.
    http://www.infoq.com/articles/monotouch-introduction

Explains most of it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It generates native iPhone code, no IL and no runtime required.
    And how they include garbage collection into all that native code unless they prepack compiled version of Mono with the app (meaning it ought to be huge).

Also, they don't support Winforms, what would you use for UI on iPhone, WPF?

It's certainly interesting but then don't forget you'd probably need to get Apple to still "approve" your application, personally I hate this tulip with someone needing to approve my code - the only person who is entitled to do that is the user of the software.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    But then you have to know Objective C and you need to understand the full iPhone API.
    That is the route I'd take, but for someone already competent in .NET MonoTouch hopefully provides a quicker route.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    OS X comes with a full development system included, on top of which it's USD 99 to join the iPhone Developer Program and get the iPhone SDK.

Not too bad if you already have a Mac.
    But then you have to know Objective C and you need to understand the full iPhone API.

Here you get to use your familiar C# language, .NET library, garbage collection, threading, XML handling, LINQ, etc and have to just learn a new set of assemblies to handle drawing widgets and responding to gestures on the screen.

Much smaller learning curve if you are already C#/.NET expert.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Does it generate native code for iPhone? If it requires user to install huge runtime then it's tulipy. Unless Apple preinstall it, which it certainly won't any time soon.
    It generates native iPhone code, no IL and no runtime required.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X