• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Want to use my time to some benefit - wife wants a website"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    The intention is that the site supports whatever she advertises in other ways
    That makes your life much easier (and is a more realistic ambition - Russell Grant has a slight head start on you).

It solves the problem of NOT having a web site which damages credibility enormously.

Your most important thing to do is get the name right and decided early on. That will effect the domain name you use and the words you use on the site. Get the name wrong and the domain is effectively wasted.

with a booking facility being a bonus.
    Good idea. Provide the customer with as many ways to contact you as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Well I never! Surprisingly accurate!

Duly bookmarked for future consultations

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Is it your intention that the site will be the marketing tool, i.e., people find the web site when looking for such things, or that she advertises in other ways and directs people at the web site?

The answer to that will make quite a difference in how that web site should look and how it should be hosted.

(especially given you will be on a learning curve and there is only you.)
    The intention is that the site supports whatever she advertises in other ways, so an advert, leaflet, poster or business card will have her phone number, email address and the URL on and the site can then give all the info needed with a booking facility being a bonus.

In the future the people 'finding' the site might become more important as she seeks agreements from people to link to her site and vice versa as cross-promotion of their different 'alternative' therapy services.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/category/horoscopes/

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Astrology! Do I sound like a bleeding Sagittarius? Oh well, if it keeps people happy.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied

oops.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 3 December 2009, 13:33. Reason: Meant to PM that, not post it. :emb

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    I do hope you can get this idea to work. My mother-in-law did something similar, got nothing and packed it in after 2 years. Site look very good too. Good luck.
    Thanks for the good wishes.

My wife didn't think it would help, but her beautician and reflexologist kept telling her how much business they were getting through the web, but my wife will supplement this with traditional advertising and cross-promotions and referrals.

Anyway, if nothing happens the most that is lost is the time taken to set the site up and the domain costs.

Better to have tried than not!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Is it your intention that the site will be the marketing tool, i.e., people find the web site when looking for such things, or that she advertises in other ways and directs people at the web site?

The answer to that will make quite a difference in how that web site should look and how it should be hosted.

(especially given you will be on a learning curve and there is only you.)

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    I do hope you can get this idea to work. My mother-in-law did something similar, got nothing and packed it in after 2 years. Site look very good too. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Thanks for the tip!

So what were you selling then nudge nudge wink wink....
    Travel services, hotel reservations, travel insurance, airport parking etc. Nothing sinister, it's just they focus on physical shipments, they don't like services.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Is that a first hand recommendation from having used it?

I'm taking a look now....

PS I forgot to mention - I need to tie the site down to a proper domain name too.
    I know people who have no real web experience who have used it to get a web presence.
    I'm investigating using it myself as after 3 years its quite clear that I'll never get round to building a website myself

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    how about google sites?
    Is that a first hand recommendation from having used it?

I'm taking a look now....

PS I forgot to mention - I need to tie the site down to a proper domain name too.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I don't think Google checkout will allow you to take payment for such things as astrology readings. They are pretty strict and when I used them for one of my websites they objected (the service is not a physical delivery and was against their code) and closed down my account within a week.
    Thanks for the tip!

So what were you selling then nudge nudge wink wink....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I don't think Google checkout will allow you to take payment for such things as astrology readings. They are pretty strict and when I used them for one of my websites they objected (the service is not a physical delivery and was against their code) and closed down my account within a week.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    how about google sites?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X