• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ms access

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ms access"

Collapse

• MikeC1408
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    MS Access.. oh those were the days, does anyone actually use this to build new dbs?
    Doing very well working in Access thanks

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Forgot to say - thanks for all the help folks.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Now that sounds like my kinda training course. Expensive?
    Came in at around £1100, inc food & drink. We went for the cheapest option, which was a furnished apartment. Beer over there is 45p for a very large bottle of Kingfisher and the curry is cheap and damn good.

Course finished at 4pm to start with, but got earlier as we continued, leaving more time to sit down by the Pool at the local Marriott which was 5 mins down the road by taxi.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    Mate and I went on a SharePoint MCTS course in Goa.
    Now that sounds like my kinda training course. Expensive?

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Has anyone ever seen that working? On three ClientCo sites they've had a partial or broken SharePoint system in place that nobody could make use of. As far as I can make out (from the fragments of functionality that did something, intermittently, on one site), it is like Pretty Windows Explorer for Particularly Thick Numpties.
    Mate and I went on a SharePoint MCTS course in Goa. Since we got back, we've implemented a few decent sharepoint sites, the client we both work at is screaming for SharePoint implementations to do all sorts of things. When developed with Features and Web Parts, it becomes a very powerful tool indeed, very easy to implement simple lists, but backed up by .Net when you want someone a bit more complex

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Has anyone ever seen that working?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    SharePoint
    Has anyone ever seen that working? On three ClientCo sites they've had a partial or broken SharePoint system in place that nobody could make use of. As far as I can make out (from the fragments of functionality that did something, intermittently, on one site), it is like Pretty Windows Explorer for Particularly Thick Numpties.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    When clients want a quick an dirty database, what do they use now for the GUI and data store?

What is the new MS Access for corporate mini databases?
    ASP.NET + "You need Internet Explorer 6 to view this page"

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    When clients want a quick an dirty database, what do they use now for the GUI and data store?

SharePoint

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    MS Access.. oh those were the days, does anyone actually use this to build new dbs?
    I was paid good money to do this about three years ago. They 'couldn't afford' SQL Server and the barsteward had thousands of users

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    MY current client and I have built their database using Oracle and Access. It used to be all in Access...but we quickly ran into the multiple concurrent users issues...and the LAN used to be Token ring (eek!) which did help.

Now that things are moving over to India (weep), those lads are trying to decifer the strange coding and ever weirder table and view names. Oh well good luck to them.

I've now moved on to sharepoint and other CMS consulting.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The banking instruments which will cause the recession are being dreamt up now and will shortly be coded by grads using access.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    dunno this is an old app we are replacing but I was curious to know if we could improve it in the interim
    It ain't broke so STOP FIXING IT.

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Actually wrote something like this at one job, just did not delete them,moved them to a quarantine zone instead. Result: it did pretty much solve "their Access problem"
    Balls of steel, man, balls of steel.

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    There are serveral reason why excel is visible

1) so that the user could see any error messages that pop up

2) if the excel file is blank for some reason he/she knows straight away
    something is wrong.

3) perhaps a recorded excel macro is run on the sheet, most recoreded
    macros need excel to be visible.

4) It's a signal so once excel files have closed down there is probably a long
    time involved in loading the data, so could opportunity to go for a coffee.

5) makes them look like they are doing some work.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X