• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: cobol copybook

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "cobol copybook"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Those level 01s really should have been level 77s. And should that customer number really have been alphanumeric and not numeric?

(I've got grey sideburns. Can you tell?)
    From a language point of view the 01 v 77 is a valid arguable style point. However in a number of compilers there is good reason for using 01 rather than 77 related to the code that is produced.

Equally the first 4 items (assuming they are indeed constant) could have been defined as a level 78 (if supported by the compiler) or they could have been defined in the constant section (if supported by the compiler in question).

CREC should probably also be a typedef (if supported)

The code of the main program fails the full ANSI '85 syntax check as well for at least 1 reason (no data division - and it never was optional if any of the sections were used). If memory serves the standard did make the environment division optional.

Far too many bloody variations. Post 85 standard everybody has gone their own way a bit.

Anyway I could update it all to object cobol in no more than 250 lines of new code. There's progress.....

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    * copybook INQINTC
    * Channel name
    01 INQUIRY-CHANNEL PIC X(16) VALUE 'inqcustrec'.
    * Container names
    01 CUSTOMER-NO PIC X(16) VALUE 'custno'.
    01 BRANCH-NO PIC X(16) VALUE 'branchno'.
    01 CUSTOMER-RECORD PIC X(16) VALUE 'custrec'.
    * Define the data fields used by the program
    01 CUSTNO PIC X(8).
    01 BRANCHNO PIC X(5).
    Those level 01s really should have been level 77s. And should that customer number really have been alphanumeric and not numeric?

(I've got grey sideburns. Can you tell?)
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 28 July 2009, 08:45. Reason: numberic --> numeric

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    PM Sent

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    BTW Does anyone know what happened to JJ Le Burt? I had his bible for Cobol II and Cobol 3 but he didn't write anymore - I waited for later versions but they didn't appear...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Flippin' heck! That brings back memories!

But aren't we talking COBOL V+ these days? Even I was working in COBOL III before I finished...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    * copybook INQINTC
    * Channel name
    01 INQUIRY-CHANNEL PIC X(16) VALUE 'inqcustrec'.
    * Container names
    01 CUSTOMER-NO PIC X(16) VALUE 'custno'.
    01 BRANCH-NO PIC X(16) VALUE 'branchno'.
    01 CUSTOMER-RECORD PIC X(16) VALUE 'custrec'.
    * Define the data fields used by the program
    01 CUSTNO PIC X(8).
    01 BRANCHNO PIC X(5).
    01 CREC.
    02 CUSTNAME PIC X(80).
    02 CUSTADDR1 PIC X(80).
    02 CUSTADDR2 PIC X(80).
    02 CUSTADDR3 PIC X(80).
    IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
    PROGRAM-ID. CLIENT1.

WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.

COPY INQINTC

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
    MAIN-PROCESSING SECTION.
    VS/COBOL II

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    What kind of tips? It's just COBOL.

I suppose it's even more important to use a unique prefixing system for all field names, to avoid duplication, but you should be doing that anyway.
    Copy replacing - if supported by the compiler in question.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Any help or tips on writing a .cpy file?
    What kind of tips? It's just COBOL.

I suppose it's even more important to use a unique prefixing system for all field names, to avoid duplication, but you should be doing that anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Find a working one and use it as a template

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    started a topic cobol copybook

cobol copybook

Any help or tips on writing a .cpy file?

Working...
X