• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Got my Amiga 500+ set up!"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    But it never got better than the original vector GFX version on the BBC B with 32k of ram.

IIRC a new players rating was 'Mostly Harmless' in homage to Douglas Adams.
    cannot disagree with that - although I played it on an acorn electron - you started as harmless but quickly got to mostly harmless..

Leave a comment:

• scorchio
    replied
    Think I'm gonna have to get my Amiga 1200 out of the cupboard and play some Syndicate soon, loved that game.

Nothing like a bit of mindless violence to brighten the day.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Some great games for sure.

Well the fun was short-lived for me - I tried the miggy again just now and the power light just flashes. Most likely a chip needs reseating - can't be bothered so its all packed up again and back in the loft.

Back to Unreal Tournament.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    100 Amiga games in 10 minutes

Every Amiga game ever released

Anyone remember 'North and South'?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    My brother had the amiga 1500 and it was brilliant. I was never beaten at Speedball 2 but only ever managed to beat the top team once in the single player mode. His versio of lemmings was better than the version I had on my PC as his had speech and proper graphics. Mine was allblocky and all they said was bleep!

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Wizball!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    OOh at best it was 88/89 looks like the speccy beat them to it by a good few years!

didn't the vic 20 take catridges as well?
    It surely did! I remember having "The Count" on a cartridge and peeking the memory that the cartridge occupied to cheat!!!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

I even upgraded my to 1 Meg so I could play Elite 2

double
    But it never got better than the original vector GFX version on the BBC B with 32k of ram.

IIRC a new players rating was 'Mostly Harmless' in homage to Douglas Adams.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    OOh at best it was 88/89 looks like the speccy beat them to it by a good few years!

didn't the vic 20 take catridges as well?

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    I spent many happy hours on Elite 2 - the 500+ came with I think 2meg RAM.

also with respect to Stunt Car Racer i did buy the below for my C64

brilliant!!

no loading great games and graphics - turned the C64 into an early console
    [/URL]
    When did that come out, compared to the Sinclair Spectrum Interface 2 (cartridge-based games) that I had? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Interface_2 happy days!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    also with respect to Stunt Car Racer i did buy the below for my C64

The Commodore 64 version was later modified for use without a keyboard. This version was in the Power Play cartridge together with Rick Dangerous and Microprose Soccer, released for the C64 Games System.
    brilliant!!

no loading great games and graphics - turned the C64 into an early console

not quite as good as Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O Fun

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    yes interesting - IIRC there were cranes by the side of the track but yes when the cars crashed and needed lifting they did levitate obviously they decided the extra code required was not worth the enhanced experience

in fact I recall I had to set the track detail to minimum as I actually timed the lap times given against a real stopwatch - for full trackside details each lap took about 15 seconds more real seconds to complete (depending on the course being raced of course)

with minimal details the lap times were pretty much the same as real time.

I even upgraded my to 1 Meg so I could play Elite 2

double

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    There were no cranes in the final version either! Despite this and numerous other faults, it was awesome for the time - way ahead of anything else available.
    Wow, they must have taken that feature out - I thought it was pretty cool myself.

Perhaps you had to crash in the right place - somewhere you couldn't be recovered by other means?

Then again, it wasn't unusual in those days to cut features, either to squeeze into 512K at runtime, or to avoid the additional duplication costs of overflowing onto an extra disk.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I crashed into the barriers (naturally) and a crane lifted my car off the track... but they hadn't defined the polygons for the crane yet, so it looked like the car was levitating itself
    There were no cranes in the final version either! Despite this and numerous other faults, it was awesome for the time - way ahead of anything else available.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    sparked up my Atari 520Ste about a year ago

fancies a go on Geoff Crammands Grand Prix which was cutting edge at the time and also some Microprose Golf

neither has aged well!!!

nastalgia ain't what it used to be.
    A mate of mine did a lot of work with Geoff Crammond - he showed me Grand Prix about a year before it finally came out.

I crashed into the barriers (naturally) and a crane lifted my car off the track... but they hadn't defined the polygons for the crane yet, so it looked like the car was levitating itself

He also worked on Stunt Car Racer - again, I got to see that quite a while before it was finished

Leave a comment:

Working...
X