• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: DVD Recorder

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DVD Recorder"

Collapse

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    I think (I could be wrong) that the recording functionality only works while you have a subscription. I believe Sky levy a £10 a month charge for recording if you don't have a current subscription.
    Actually, I think you could be right there.... recording is free if you have a current sky subscription or £10 a month without...

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    interesting stuff, didn't know all that, cheers!

The sky+ box is currently £99 + £60 installation on their website

I guess i'll try blagging it cheaper when i phone them!

thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    I could be wrong but I think I read on AVForums that you keep the recording functionality now as well (as it's free).

However you will not be able to watch anything you previously recorded on the pay channels.
    I think (I could be wrong) that the recording functionality only works while you have a subscription. I believe Sky levy a £10 a month charge for recording if you don't have a current subscription.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Not entirely true. You can still use it to watch all the free channels, only the recording functionality is disabled. Plus they'll probably give you the box for free anyway so you won't have lost a penny
    I could be wrong but I think I read on AVForums that you keep the recording functionality now as well (as it's free).

However you will not be able to watch anything you previously recorded on the pay channels.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    which is entirely useless if your street is not wired for VM

except having a useless box if I leave sky

thanks everyone - I may end up going for Sky+ anyway, the Murdoch comment was only half serious
    Not entirely true. You can still use it to watch all the free channels, only the recording functionality is disabled. Plus they'll probably give you the box for free anyway so you won't have lost a penny

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    switch to virgin media then, they have a similar system
    which is entirely useless if your street is not wired for VM

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    WTS.

You're not locked into anything.
    except having a useless box if I leave sky

thanks everyone - I may end up going for Sky+ anyway, the Murdoch comment was only half serious

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    My Sony HX525 includes EPG (incl. some sky channels) and a widget which changes the channel of the Sky box. That model has been superseded by now but what you're looking for is available.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I love Sky+ but there are alternatives: Foxsat-HDR, for a one off fee.

I can't decide if I should upgrade to SkyHD or get one of these.

One thing I'm sure of is a DVD recorder+HDD is not the way to go, EPG and instant setting is the only way IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    I love Sky+, they should be presented with the Apple "It just works" slogan.

I get a great deal having broadband, phone and Sky+ with them. I used to have an external recorder before getting Sky and it was toss.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    WHS, and I've long held this belief.

The Wheel -> Sliced Bread -> Sky+
    WTS.

If you're already a Sky subscriber, it's a no brainer. The boxes aren't that expensive, and there's no extra subscription. You're not locked into anything.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Honestly, Sky+ is one of the best inventions ever.
    WHS, and I've long held this belief.

The Wheel -> Sliced Bread -> Sky+

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    can anyone recommend a good dvd recorder with a hard disk?

i've got sky but do not want to get sky+ - i'd rather have something not locked into Murdoch
    I bought an ultra-cheap DVD + hard disk recorder years ago and even that basic model works great. I agree wholeheartedly about avoiding Sky, and other rip off merchants. Recording to DVD on my unit ceased to function after about a year but the unit's main usefulness is to record to hard disk, and for that it works admirably. Typing in a VideoPlus code to record on the timer takes seconds (Freeview and terrestrial TV) and you can watch another station and record simultaneously (I guess even the cheapest models have an inbuilt tuner). And record and watch the same programme with a time shift (handy for skipping adverts and fast forwarding through boring bits of a programme as you watch), etc. A must-have item. I imagine you will be able to record Sky programmes too. Cost: flip all.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    can anyone recommend a good dvd recorder with a hard disk?

i've got sky but do not want to get sky+ - i'd rather have something not locked into Murdoch
    Honestly, Sky+ is one of the best inventions ever. Recording onto an external device will be a pain in the arse - not only will you have to set the Sky box to change to the right channel at the right time but you'll also have to set the times on your HD recorder. In addition, with Sky+ you can record one channel and watch another, or alternatively record two programmes at once. You wouldn't be able to do this with an external recorder.

If you've had Sky for a while they'll probably do the extra cabling & box for free, and there's no longer any charge for Sky+.

I hate to blow Murdoch's trumpet but Sky+ really does change the way you watch TV. It's dead simple to use and works pretty much flawlessly.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    i'd rather have something not locked into Murdoch
    switch to virgin media then, they have a similar system

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    http://www.avforums.com/ is your friend

Leave a comment:

Working...