• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "External wireless hard drives"

Collapse

• ~Craig~
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    no network port or wireless

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by adestor View Post
    Anybody know of any decent wireless external hard drives around the 1Tb size ? I was looking at the Freecom 1Tb Datatank on dabs.com and seems to have good reviews. Seems to have gone up in price recently though .... that pesky pound again no doubt.
    Western Digital WDH1U10000 for £64.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one of these an plugging it into my wireless router:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126893

add a 750gb sata drive and it comes in at £100
    Seems a good plan to me.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Those are for printers aren't they?

What you want is a NAS with cheap 'n cheerful ethernet through a wire (or four wires to be strictly accurate).
    I'm thinking of getting one of these an plugging it into my wireless router:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126893

add a 750gb sata drive and it comes in at £100

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Maybe wireless is a bit slow for backups.
    I've got a spare usb port on my bt home hub - that should do the trick shouldn't it ?
    Those are for printers aren't they?

What you want is a NAS with cheap 'n cheerful ethernet through a wire (or four wires to be strictly accurate).

Leave a comment:

• adestor
    replied
    Maybe wireless is a bit slow for backups.
    I've got a spare usb port on my bt home hub - that should do the trick shouldn't it ?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    What about backups?
    Use RAID on your storage box - wireless in this case is just another interface, nothing stops this box from also using wires.

I prefer wired network too as even 1 Gbits is not fast enough if you copy a lot of data (many terabytes).

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied

Terrabyte
    Terrabit.

1Tb is what you said in your original post, which is 128GB.

I also don't understand why you'd want wireless. Just connect it to a wireless router and have the benefit of both.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Stream those movies to ones big LCD screen player or something like this...
    What about backups?

To be honest I'd want my drives on a hard wired network, where I can upload to them, back them up etc, and then use wireless to serve up data on demand.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Why would the storage need to be wireless?
    Stream those movies to ones big LCD screen player or something like this...

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

I use a Netgear ReadyNAS which is connected wired into my network, but laptops can access it through the wireless router.
    I agree. If one needs to plug the Network Aware Hard drive onto the network and is nowhere near the Router, get a HomePlug and encrypt the traffic with AES. That's what I have done for my Network USB Hub.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied

I use a Netgear ReadyNAS which is connected wired into my network, but laptops can access it through the wireless router.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    I've got a couple of 1.5 Tb Maxtors. They're not wireless though. I wouldn't trust my wireless network to transfer any serious amount of data.

Leave a comment:

• adestor
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    1 terra bit!? That's a 'bit' big isnt it?

Terrabyte

Well no, actually. I've got my PC and the missus laptop with video and all. You'd be surprised how quickly it all builds up.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    1 terra bit!? That's a 'bit' big isnt it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X