• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good Business Mobile"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    Trawled the HMRC website and I think you are correct FaQQer I shouldn't be claiming a %age of the invoices. Wonder why the accountants haven't said anything!

Thanks
    Mine told me that if I got a company mobile it was a BIK. It was only when I showed him the HMRC note about it that he acknowledged that I was right.

Mind you - he is an accountant pure and simple; other people in the firm know more about the taxable situation / P11D etc. side of things.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Trawled the HMRC website and I think you are correct FaQQer I shouldn't be claiming a %age of the invoices. Wonder why the accountants haven't said anything!

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    What if you receive a VAT invoice with YourLtd's name on it but the direct debit is from your personal account, can you claim it all back, or does it have to come out of the business account?
    It's been discussed before here - some will argue that it needs to be in the company name and account; others will say that what you are doing is fine.

Here's the link to when it was last discussed.

I think that it needs to be paid for my the company, from the company account, and be a business tariff - at the moment, you are paying for it and then expensing it, so it is not a business asset regardless of what the bill says.

You can claim a percentage of the total invoice back based on number of business calls.
    I'm not sure that's right - I thought from other discussions on CUK about it, you couldn't claim anything if it comes out of your free minutes, and I'm almost certain you can't claim any line rental for a personal mobile phone. If you have an HMRC reference, I'd be interested to see it.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    If you have a business tariff, paid for by the business, then you can claim everything, including personal calls and line rental. This is a business expense, so the phone comes out of your profit, reducing your tax bill.
    What if you receive a VAT invoice with YourLtd's name on it but the direct debit is from your personal account, can you claim it all back, or does it have to come out of the business account?

If you have a personal tariff, you can claim the cost of business related calls, and nothing else. If it comes out of your free minutes, then you claim nothing for the call. You pay for all other calls and all line rental, out of post-tax income.
    You can claim a percentage of the total invoice back based on number of business calls.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by kanulondon View Post
    Sorry who is they?

I have my Ltd Co but haven't sorted a new mobile yet. I don't understand the benefits of having a business mobile...

I understand I can claim it as an expense...

KL

btw N95/N96 very good PUSH e mail phones
    "They" is the business.

If you have a business tariff, paid for by the business, then you can claim everything, including personal calls and line rental. This is a business expense, so the phone comes out of your profit, reducing your tax bill.

If you have a personal tariff, you can claim the cost of business related calls, and nothing else. If it comes out of your free minutes, then you claim nothing for the call. You pay for all other calls and all line rental, out of post-tax income.

Leave a comment:

• kanulondon
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Business tariff - claim all calls, not just business ones, and they pay the line rental.

Personal tariff - can claim the business calls back but nothing else.
    Sorry who is they?

I have my Ltd Co but haven't sorted a new mobile yet. I don't understand the benefits of having a business mobile...

I understand I can claim it as an expense...

KL

btw N95/N96 very good PUSH e mail phones

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    The only time I've had problems with my 3 connection is after a Windows Update.

I know this because a System restore cures the problem. I seem to be an update behind everyone else.

Also have you updated the software on the usb modem? That can go a little funny too but an update fixes that.

Or maybe it's because I'm in Bristol, but have had no real problems with 3 mbb. I've had solid connections of upto 4 hours....
    I have the same problem with Windows and Linux machines. Will try to update the software on the modem at some stage...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    The only time I've had problems with my 3 connection is after a Windows Update.

I know this because a System restore cures the problem. I seem to be an update behind everyone else.

Also have you updated the software on the usb modem? That can go a little funny too but an update fixes that.

Or maybe it's because I'm in Bristol, but have had no real problems with 3 mbb. I've had solid connections of upto 4 hours....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I haven't had a really problem with 3 mbb, any slowness I've put down to my Vtech laptop...

Could you elucidate please FAQqer?
    I've always had problems connecting and getting dropped connections (even when I'm not moving). I stay in London during the week, just down from Canada Water (so hardly in the sticks) but it normally takes about 5 or 6 attempts to get a connection - which then drops after (at most) an hour. My housemate has the same problem with his three modem.

I was sold the connection based on how much better their infrastructure is with three, so even though others can go quicker, the number of places where it works quicker is less than with three. However, I've not seen it.

The main problem I have is with how intermittent the whole thing is - one night I'll get a reasonable connection, the next (with the laptop in the same place) I'll get nothing and have to retrain myself from throwing the laptop out the window...

As I said earlier, the customer service is tulipe if you need any help.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I haven't had a really problem with 3 mbb, any slowness I've put down to my Vtech laptop...

Could you elucidate please FAQqer?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Interesting, and indeed comprehensive history and review of SmartPhones from Stephen Fry:

http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/?p=3

Ok just realised it's quite an old post too.
    Not read it, but IIRC Stephen Fry was a very early adopter of the iPhone.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Ok thanks.

Afterthought, was that because of 3's coverage?
    For mobile phone, the coverage has always been good (OK at my parents, but they live in the countryside). The internet access has always been poor, though.

In terms of customer service, I've always found three a nightmare to deal with, bordering on rude. If you need anything from customer services, then you're pretty stuffed.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Interesting, and indeed comprehensive history and review of SmartPhones from Stephen Fry:

http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/?p=3

Ok just realised it's quite an old post too.
    Last edited by Badger; 27 November 2008, 22:02.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Ok thanks.

Afterthought, was that because of 3's coverage?
    Last edited by Badger; 21 November 2008, 17:10.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Just been emailed the deal, anyone used Excell Communications before?

Seems like a good deal, although the choice of mobile is limited.
    I've just moved from three after being with them for 5 years. As soon as I can move my mobile broadband from them, I will do as well.

There's a reason why they are so cheap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X