• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2 many connections on server when remoting on to it"

Collapse

• dmini
    replied
    Terminal services manager (admin toolkit) will allow you to see who is connected - then reset them - provided you are an admin.
    Session limits on idle / disconnected or even active sessions can be set either on individual servers or group policy

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    In the past I've just used mstsc.exe /console to connect. I believe this will kick off any other console user currently connected. Then, assuming you are admin on the server you can use the remote management tool (not 100% on name) to go and start kicking off anyone else. Used to do this kind of thing all the time in my permie job, when people had left a connection open after going home etc.

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    If you've remoted in to a command prompt, stopping the remote service is easy - starting it again, not so much
    try the...

shutdown /r /m \\servername

command from a remote machine

TM

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Windows server has a hard limit of 2 RDP connections and 1 console connection (making 3).

If you want to go above this, you need terminal services... good luck with that.

TM

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Anyway, if you can get a command prompt, you can reboot! Alternatively, stopping/starting the remote service should do.
    If you've remoted in to a command prompt, stopping the remote service is easy - starting it again, not so much

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    I need to remote onto a windows server but everytime I login it says 'max connections exceeded', there is a command you can run from command line that kicks off everyone already logged for the life of me I can't remeber it and can't find it on google, anyone know it ?
    Try starting the RDP client with the "console" flag by typing "mstsc /console" at a command prompt. This will then log you on to the console session on whichever box you connect to.
    Last edited by voodooflux; 24 October 2008, 22:14. Reason: Wrong command

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Dunno, but you'll need someone able to log directly onto the server to do anything.

When I was in a similar situation a while back, I installed PC Anywhere so I could use that if remote desktop wouldn't let me in for some reason.

Anyway, if you can get a command prompt, you can reboot! Alternatively, stopping/starting the remote service should do.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    started a topic 2 many connections on server when remoting on to it

2 many connections on server when remoting on to it

I need to remote onto a windows server but everytime I login it says 'max connections exceeded', there is a command you can run from command line that kicks off everyone already logged for the life of me I can't remeber it and can't find it on google, anyone know it ?

Working...
X