• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 3 mobile broadband

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "3 mobile broadband"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    I get speeds 40kbts to 1.8mbts ie: From very bad to very good. It is going to take two years to get good speeds throuout the UK.

If you are unhappy with the speeds then cancels your contract with the reasons. Send a copy to Ofcom, like all 3G ISPs 3Mobile are breaking Ofcom regulations with their claims.

I have an 18 month contract for 30GB of data per month costing £15 pm. That is still cheaper that paying Internet rates via the mobile phone and even if I can send emails only, it is still worth it.

You need to be very close to a 3G mast to get broadband. Ofcom have a list on their website.

Leave a comment:

• SteveV
    replied
    mine works fine.

I am in Austria tommorrow and apparently I will be able to use it there. They have a partnership with 3austria to allow roaming without extra charges, same for my mobile. Just need to be sure it connects to the 3austria net and not someone else.

It often depends on your location in the uk, i found it improved sometimes by moving a few hundred metres.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I find mine VERY variable.

Airport and client site in Westminster are fine (when I don't need them to be), but from the place that I stay near Canada Water it's cack.

Overall, I'm disappointed with it.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    At first I thought it would be a great idea, broadband wherever you can get a phone signal. Ideal for those times when you're in a b&b with nothing better to do.

Then I looked at the various providers websites (3, Vodafone, ...) and found that this 3g stuff is mainly limited to cities, towns and main routes, as it's coverage is invariably much less than normal 2g (or whatever) signal coverage.

So a good idea, but come back in 5 years, unless you aren't all that mobile!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I s'pose you've checked out the hardware?
    good point... i've found that my usb modem gets lots of interfernce from the wireless mouse, so i now use the extension cable and keep the modem away from the wireless mouse receiver

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Oh Dear - very surprised about poor connections. I'm on my 2nd (PAYG) month with them and am very happy with availability.

I s'pose you've checked out the hardware?

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    What a freakin' crock! Locked into an 18 month contract with something that gives me less than dial-up speeds - WHEN YOU CAN GET A CONNECTION!!!
    What speeds did the Three coverage map suggest you should expect where you are?

I get a good 1.3mbps at ClientCo, but I would imagine only something akin to GPRS at home.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I've got 3 and its generally very good, decent speeds.

All depends on where you are tho... a collegue of mine has the Vodafone service, works brilliantly at home (where he has broadband already) is crap and less than dial up at the hotel where I get superb connection speeds from 3

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    What a freakin' crock! Locked into an 18 month contract with something that gives me less than dial-up speeds - WHEN YOU CAN GET A CONNECTION!!!

I'm out of the 14 day period, but I think I'll just cancel the direct debit and return it to them - whaya think?
    Unlucky. However, as you are out of your 14 day period, 3 would be entitled to send you an invoice for the whole 18 months and if you refuse to pay.... you can guess the rest. However, if you can prove that they are deliberately providing you with a lower than acceptable service, you could always argue your point.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    started a topic 3 mobile broadband

3 mobile broadband

I'm out of the 14 day period, but I think I'll just cancel the direct debit and return it to them - whaya think?

Working...
X