• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: i Pod Shuffle

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "i Pod Shuffle"

Collapse

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Just thought I'd keep you all updated: the i-pod's now charged-up. Thank you.
    Thanks for the update - I was starting to wonder.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Just thought I'd keep you all updated: the i-pod's now charged-up. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    A lot of peripherals still ship with USB 1.1 pass through ports. Most USB ports directly on the machine should be USB 2.0 but in a lot of cases extension ones (i.e. the ones on the front of the case and not the plug direct into the motherboard ones) are USB 1.1.

I suspect there are lots of USB 1.1 ports still knocking about because once you have attached one peripheral some of the power available on that port is used up so that when you attach another device in series the remaining power that is left over is not enough to use the high USB 2.0 transfer rate and instead defaults to the slower USB 1.1 speeds. If you are not going to be able to get USB 2.0 speeds off the bus anyway, why spend a fraction more putting a USB 2.0 port in there?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    You need a 2.0 USB port I believe. I have an iPhone and it will not charge if plugged into a 1.1 USB port, but is fine if plugged into a 2.0 USB port.

Sounds strange, but hey it is apple.....
    Well, USB 2.0 has been around for more than eight years... I'd be surprised to find a machine with USB 1.x on the market these days. My cheapo Toshiba laptop from about three or four years ago has 2.0.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    You need a 2.0 USB port I believe. I have an iPhone and it will not charge if plugged into a 1.1 USB port, but is fine if plugged into a 2.0 USB port.

Sounds strange, but hey it is apple.....

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    I suspect that it's the low power USB port.

Many thanks to all who helped. It has restored my faith in the dazzling technical excellence that is the indelible and world-wide renowned hallmark of CUK's members!
    Too kind *hic*

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    i-tunes is installed and does recognize it.

I suspect that it's the low power USB port.

Many thanks to all who helped. It has restored my faith in the dazzling technical excellence that is the indelible and world-wide renowned hallmark of CUK's members!

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Classic CUK thread of the blind leading the blind at this stage
    Who said that!?
    Last edited by voodooflux; 1 September 2008, 14:55.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Classic CUK thread of the blind leading the blind at this stage

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    I thought it was
    Seems not according to this.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Is iTunes required to charge the iPod? Just read some posts that seem to indicate that it isn't
    I thought it was

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Shall I ask the question - have you installed iTunes and does it recognise the ipod ?
    Is iTunes required to charge the iPod? Just read some posts that seem to indicate that it isn't

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Shall I ask the question - have you installed iTunes and does it recognise the ipod ?

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    It might be that your work PC has low-powered USB ports, and this might affect the recharge time.

Are you transferring/playing tunes while it's charging?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    started a topic i Pod Shuffle

i Pod Shuffle

I have an i Pod shuffle. Currently attempting to recharge its battery. Light is blinking and orange and has been like that for a lot longer than usual. I am, admittedly, using my work PC USB port to get the electrickery, not my usual home PC. Any ideas why it's slow/not charging-up?

Working...
X