• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Eratic mouse movements"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    It works fine on the linux machine so that's not the issue
    I had a similar problem with an optical mouse shortly after I'd bought a wireless modem. It turned out to be due to the mouse mat I'd bought at the same time though

It doesn't sound like a mouse mat problem in your case, but it was nevertheless annoying to buy a mat that doesn't function as advertised. I saw no warning or limitations of use on the packaging. I'm hoping it will get less shiny in time and will become fit for the purpose it should have been designed for. Until then I'm sticking with the old mouse mat. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Stop touching yourself while looking at "those" sites.
    It works fine on the linux machine so that's not the issue

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
    If the KVM works with Linux but not with Windows, then Occam's Razor suggests that it's Windows that's broken.

HTH
    Exactly it must be evil Windows at fault!

If he only had a Mac then things would be perfect.

Occams Razor indeed. More like Jobs's fanboy razor.
    Last edited by bogeyman; 29 August 2008, 22:49.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    If the KVM works with Linux but not with Windows, then Occam's Razor suggests that it's Windows that's broken.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Any suggestions?
    Stop touching yourself while looking at "those" sites.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by Addanc View Post
    Windows user has Alzheimer's.

HTH

Parkinsons

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Set up is one wireless mouse, keybd, monitor through a KVM to two machines. One XP, one Suse.

The linux machine behaves itself but the mouse is completely unusable on the XP one.

Eratic movements and phantom 'clicking' making the whole process a nightmare.

It's not the batteries cos I've checked them

Any suggestions?

TIA
    Windows user has Alzheimer's.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    What type of mouse is it.

I had an optical (wired) one which jumped around to such an extent it was completely unusable.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    If you're using mini-DIN cables between the KVM and the box they are notorious for flaking out because of dirty/bent pins.

If it's only two machines then two keyboards/monitors is the best solution.

If no desk space, you could try a virtual KVM (hosted on Linux or XP) if the two boxes are on the same network.

Failing that, shell out for new KVM with USB connectors!
    There's already two monitors, keybd, mice, due to a lappy in a docking station.

Will have a go with a virtual KVM before shelling out hard earnt cash.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    It's a frankenstein tower box under the desk.

It's a bit like triggers sweeping brush to be honest.
    If you're using mini-DIN cables between the KVM and the box they are notorious for flaking out because of dirty/bent pins.

If it's only two machines then two keyboards/monitors is the best solution.

If no desk space, you could try a virtual KVM (hosted on Linux or XP) if the two boxes are on the same network.

Failing that, shell out for new KVM with USB connectors!
    Last edited by bogeyman; 29 August 2008, 16:26.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    As has already been mentioned and proved to an extent, sounds like it could be your KVM.

However, as you don't mention what type of machine the XP unit is, thought it worth highlighting that have had similar issues in the past with a Dell lappy.

The fix was to upgrade the BIOS.
    It's a frankenstein tower box under the desk.

It's a bit like triggers sweeping brush to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    As has already been mentioned and proved to an extent, sounds like it could be your KVM.

However, as you don't mention what type of machine the XP unit is, thought it worth highlighting that have had similar issues in the past with a Dell lappy.

The fix was to upgrade the BIOS.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I think he said there was no Dongle (i.e. not USB) but some proprietary wireless receiver with an old-style mini-DIN mouse connector.

@Pondlife
    Have you tried swapping the ports on the KVM between the XP and Suse boxes?

Sounds a bit of a ropey old setup
    Hmmmm. It only happened since I did a rebuild of the XP box at which point everything was disconnected and so may well have swapped them round.

I suspect the KVM is kapput and in need of replacing.

Agreed it is a tad ropey.

What would the panel recommend as the preferred method of connecting two machines apart from a bigger desk

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    For a slightly more constructive comment, I'm guessing it's a driver or usb initialisation problem to do with the dongle being in the KVM, does the dongle work on xp if only the xp machine is on (and it was the first to boot)?
    I think he said there was no Dongle (i.e. not USB) but some proprietary wireless receiver with an old-style mini-DIN mouse connector.

@Pondlife
    Have you tried swapping the ports on the KVM between the XP and Suse boxes?

Sounds a bit of a ropey old setup

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    For a slightly more constructive comment, I'm guessing it's a driver or usb initialisation problem to do with the dongle being in the KVM, does the dongle work on xp if only the xp machine is on (and it was the first to boot)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X