• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rj45 to RJ11

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rj45 to RJ11"

Collapse

• xchaotic
    replied
    I don't really understand why don't you just google it all
    I occasionally used to split the Ethernet cable and used the unused pair to wire the phone, but not the other way around.
    The reason being, electrical signalling scheme in Ethernet (codenamed Manchester I believe) uses higher frequencies (36MHz for 10Mbit and 360 for 100 - again from a distant memory), which is still much higher than Plain Old Telephony System, being a simple analog representation of our voice and cutoff at around 10KHz.
    The reason there are 4 pairs of wires in Unshielded Twisted Pair cable, is to shield and reduce interference, they're also twisted in a very specific fashion.
    Like I mentioned not all wires are used, but that's also for a reason.

The only things I can think of than can work over a simple copper cable used for telephony are:
    modem (up to 56kbit)
    serial (up to few megabits depending on the quality of the cable)
    adsl

but why bother? I'd simply go and route a nice, cheap cat6 (or cat5e) and run a gigabit network over that. If you don't have means to route within the house, just run it through the windows or sth.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I think you've got the wrong wires for ethernet. Your adapters are probably for phones:

http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html
    I've rewired the adaptors now, so that I'm using 1,2,3 and 6 on the ethernet end. Still no connection; maybe the wiring behind the socket is dodgy - I'll check that.

Does powerline work when you've got european wiring - circuit board with two switches, and 5 circuits off each? Even so, I've got all the equipment for doing it the ethernet, so it would be nice if I could get it working!

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Why not just use a couple of Homeplugs? I've got a couple and they're great.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I think you've got the wrong wires for ethernet. Your adapters are probably for phones:

http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I'm still playing with the using the phone line, 'cos I'm awkward like that.

Now, I've got RJ11 to RJ45 adaptors. They link the middle four connectors the RJ11 to the middle four connectors of the RJ45. So where the RJ45 goes brown-white-green-white-blue-green/white-orange-white, only green-white-blue-green/white are connected. blue-brown-white-yellow

In order:

RJ45 green - RJ11 blue
    Rj45 white - RJ11 brown
    RJ45 blue - RJ11 white
    RJ45 green/white - RJ11 yellow

Seem ok?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    I bought two sets of 200Mb BT Comtrend (powerline) adapters (i.e. 4 adapters in total) for less than 100 quid on ebay. Going rate is less than 50 quid a pair.

Its a lot less hassle and you can plug them in anywhere you have a power socket.
    +1

though to be fair i don't have a 4 floored mansion to wire!

wired is so much better for streaming films/ music from my PC through my xbox 360

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've a wireless router in the cellar, but can't get connect to it above the ground floor - which is fine for most use, but it would be useful to have the ability to connect to the net from the other floors. Also handy for visitors who perhaps haven't got wireless on their laptops, if that's possible nowadays!

My house is wired for two phone lines, with RJ11 sockets on all four floors. However, I only have one phone line actually in use. I was thinking that I could get a few RJ45 to RJ11 converters and use the spare line as network cabling.

Perhaps something like this:

Code:
    Cellar

!--------!    !-----!    !--!
    Internet----! Router !----! Hub !----!PC!
                                 !
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                               !SC!---!Hub!----!PC!
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                                 !
    Ground floor.................!...................
                                 !
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                               !SG!---!Hub!----!PC!
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                                 !
    First  floor.................!...................
                                 !
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                               !S1!---!Hub!----!PC!
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                                 !
    Second floor.................!...................
                                 !
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                               !S2!---!Hub!----!PC!
                               !--!   !---!    !--!

Where SC, SG, S1, S2 are the sockets with convertors on each floor.

Is this going to work? Do I need a hub on each floor? Any other solutions?

Thanks.
    Why not replace the redundant Telephone sockets with RJ45 sockets and wire it properly? May cost a bit more, but would make more sense. Alternatively, does your wireless router have a detachable attenna? If so, why not buy one of those booster ari(a|e)ls?

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied
    Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    I bought two sets of 200Mb BT Comtrend (powerline) adapters (i.e. 4 adapters in total) for less than 100 quid on ebay. Going rate is less than 50 quid a pair.

Its a lot less hassle and you can plug them in anywhere you have a power socket.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    I've a wireless router in the cellar, but can't get connect to it above the ground floor - which is fine for most use, but it would be useful to have the ability to connect to the net from the other floors. Also handy for visitors who perhaps haven't got wireless on their laptops, if that's possible nowadays!

My house is wired for two phone lines, with RJ11 sockets on all four floors. However, I only have one phone line actually in use. I was thinking that I could get a few RJ45 to RJ11 converters and use the spare line as network cabling.

Perhaps something like this:

Code:
    Cellar

Internet----! Router !----! Hub !----!PC!
                                 !
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                               !SC!---!Hub!----!PC!
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                                 !
    Ground floor.................!...................
                                 !
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                               !SG!---!Hub!----!PC!
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                                 !
    First  floor.................!...................
                                 !
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                               !S1!---!Hub!----!PC!
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                                 !
    Second floor.................!...................
                                 !
                               !--!   !---!    !--!
                               !S2!---!Hub!----!PC!
                               !--!   !---!    !--!

Where SC, SG, S1, S2 are the sockets with convertors on each floor.

Is this going to work? Do I need a hub on each floor? Any other solutions?

Thanks.
    Would the following not work:

Connect a RJ45 to RJ11 cable from the hub to the spare telephone line in the cellar.

Connect a RJ11 to RJ45 cable from the corresponding telephone socket on the first floor and plug into a hub which is connected to an additional wireless access point.

Edit: As an alternative, how about something like this?

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied

A couple of adaptors for RJ45 to RJ112 and a little hub is likely to be a bit cheaper than networking over the power cables.

Leave a comment:

• EvilWeevil
    replied
    Cellar
    Ground floor
    First floor
    Second floor

Any other solutions?
    Your house appears to be upside down.

Wireless bridges? Higher powered wireless?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I last did networking stuff with 10Base2 - that's how old I am. Vodafone Paknet in Thatcham. We had the floor up one time to add a new workstation to the ethernet - and discovered that the end of the cable wasn't terminated with a 50 Ohm terminator (IIRC). Didn't seem to affect the running of the network though, which seemed odd.

I think I'll stick to being able to plug in one laptop at a time.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    You've still got the problem of the three floors. You might be able to get one working by just connecting the four important wires from RJ45 to RJ11, but it won't let you have 3 connections one one cable (unless you had 12 wires in the cable).

The satellite connection might work. You'd have to find some 10-base 2 equipment of course, and there's the issue of impedence.
    You can get pills for that now, little blue ones.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    You've still got the problem of the three floors. You might be able to get one working by just connecting the four important wires from RJ45 to RJ11, but it won't let you have 3 connections one one cable (unless you had 12 wires in the cable).

The satellite connection might work. You'd have to find some 10-base 2 equipment of course, and there's the issue of impedence.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    We'll be doing morse code on the central heating system by the end of the day...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X