• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New laptop time

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New laptop time"

Collapse

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Another vote for Lenovo.

I've only got the budget N200 ... which has been fault free for over 1 year now.

Mine only has 2gb ram and then I only added the extra 1gb because I was running multiple developed applications in virtual machines for testing - 3 XP VMs under XP.

I am running XP Pro, Office 2003, Visual Studio, Enterprise Architect etc etc

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Given that the OP seemed to be referring to Windows development platforms, there are probably a number of reasonable options available, depending on pricing considerations.

But - surprise, surprise - I would suggest at least considering MacBook hardware, even if you trash the OS X installation and stick Windows on it instead. It's quality hardware, in my experience.

@bogeyman: I'm surprised at your experience. Not only has my own MacBook worked well for a couple of years now, but over the last 18 months or so I've worked in places where there would have been, in total, something like fifty or sixty MacBooks or MacBook Pros in use, and I don't recollect any of them ever suffering a hardware failure. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it may be you had a run of bad luck - and, given that the replacement would probably be a "reconditioned" previously-returned unit, the probability of it having a lurking, unremedied flaw would be increased.

(And before the chorus chimes in, you face the same problem with every manufacturer - if your Dell laptop has to be replaced under warranty, you're very unlikely to get a brand new machine. You'll get one that somebody else returned and which they reckon they've fixed. This is the most shameful aspect of the hardware-vending side of the computer industry, but they all do it.)
    I think I am unlucky with hardware Nick but also think MacBook reliability is somewhat variable. You saw 50-60 and no hardware failures?

As for Apple Service, it's like some kind of surreal game. You never know what you're going to get back. The first returned MacBook had a big scuff on the lid that definitely wasn't there when it was sent back (it was the same s/n). They do seem to scratch incredibly easily, dunno if the black ones are any better.

The last return was a brand new machine as far as I could tell. I think they just keep trying to palm off the lemons.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I'm now looking to hackintosh a Lenovo.
    My next laptop will be a Lenovo - the build quality is outstanding from what I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    I have been using Thinkpads for 10 years - they have been great.

I currently have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 - very good although...

ATI has caused a hardware issue since the recent Vista service pack and have no intention of fixing it any time soon - I get harware failure all the f'ing time now - blue screen, parity failure messages and others.

lost confidence - its 8 months old.
    Check ATI's website - new driver releases recently

P.S. Also are you sure it's the ATI? Check for overheating... Google "t60 overheating"

Leave a comment:

• StuartM
    replied
    I second the Lenovo T61's. I got it on a considerable discount from a former employer and has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. I would buy one even if it was at full price but maybe a bit lower spec!

One thing I would defiantly add on though, regardless of the brand, is the extended warranty for a minimum of three years. ALL laptops have a failure rate and you will only ever get anecdotal evidence on which manufacturer is better, I doubt they would ever release those figures.

Consider the terms of the extended warranty, like crossing borders etc. In Australia, if I had bought a particular Acer laptop I would only be able to get it repaired in Australia and not worldwide. Compared to my lovely T61 here which I got back within 3 days when it went back recently, and I'm in London now but bought in Sydney.

Working in Desktop Support not too many moons ago we were sending back a huge number of T4X T6X laptops each week for warranty repairs in a fleet of a several thousand, everything from dead screens to faulty motherboards and RAM modules. Lenovo support had great customer service and quick turnaround in only two or three days.

Another consideration is the type of processor used, some models of the cheaper brands (not all) used a modified version of a Desktop grade CPU instead of a specifically designed mobile CPU - this is how they can get the cost right down. The laptops with the cut down desktop CPUs have shorter battery life because they have less control over the power consumption of the CPU and also have to be considerably bigger to dissipate the heat generated. The baseline performance between the two was only marginal in the cheaper models favor, with the benefits of a true mobile processor far outweighing the minor performance increase.

At the end of the day a laptop is built for mobility and not performance so there is always going to be a trade off. The important thing is what happens when, not if, it breaks and how long it will take to get fixed.

Stu

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    I have been using Thinkpads for 10 years - they have been great.

I currently have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 - very good although...

ATI has caused a hardware issue since the recent Vista service pack and have no intention of fixing it any time soon - I get harware failure all the f'ing time now - blue screen, parity failure messages and others.

lost confidence - its 8 months old.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    you won't have anywhere to use it though:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7484563.stm

As a Mac user since the early Nineties (and with every version of Windows from 3.0 upwards under my belt as well) can I just say that I have never been in a Starbucks, a Costa Coffee, a Café Nero, or indeed anywhere like that

I'm more the http://eggbaconchipsandbeans.com kind of Mac user

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Given that the OP seemed to be referring to Windows development platforms, there are probably a number of reasonable options available, depending on pricing considerations.

But - surprise, surprise - I would suggest at least considering MacBook hardware, even if you trash the OS X installation and stick Windows on it instead. It's quality hardware, in my experience.

@bogeyman: I'm surprised at your experience. Not only has my own MacBook worked well for a couple of years now, but over the last 18 months or so I've worked in places where there would have been, in total, something like fifty or sixty MacBooks or MacBook Pros in use, and I don't recollect any of them ever suffering a hardware failure. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it may be you had a run of bad luck - and, given that the replacement would probably be a "reconditioned" previously-returned unit, the probability of it having a lurking, unremedied flaw would be increased.

(And before the chorus chimes in, you face the same problem with every manufacturer - if your Dell laptop has to be replaced under warranty, you're very unlikely to get a brand new machine. You'll get one that somebody else returned and which they reckon they've fixed. This is the most shameful aspect of the hardware-vending side of the computer industry, but they all do it.)

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    I wonder why has no one recommended Macbook yet.
    Not having to deal with all windows or linux configuration and maintenance issues, in my justifies the price premium as it saves a lot of precious, billable time. Over time, I learned a lot of keyboard shortcuts, which save even more time. Speaking of keyboards, one of the best in laptops, especially the backlit one in MacBook Pro (the only better ones are in IBM Thinkpads, not sure if lenovo keeps up the tradition) Visualisations look ultra-cool as well.
    I have mine and never looked back since, I installed trimmed XP in a VMWare but I rarely eve used, if I did. Unity in new VMWare, means your Windows Apps behave just like native Mac Apps (you can cmd-tab etc).
    It has been suggested, that Macbooks don't have to be upgraded as often, due to better optimised software and build quality, which might further justify the purchase.

If you're buying, you might wait until the new ones come out (it's a rumour but quite reliable, I think)
    Well, actually Advocate recommended a Macbook @ 10.41.

Your point about Macbook build quality couldn't be more off the mark. I had to return my daughters Macbook 3 times. Yes THREE times (replaced once, fixed once, replaced again) before it worked properly.

My neighbour has had a brand new MB pro and the trackpad is already failing. Also the screen seems rather dim and unevenly lit.

I used to have a top of the line PowerBook and it was always flaking out.

I'm a long-time Mac desktop user, but I think the *books are a tad unreliable, to say the least.

I'm now looking to hackintosh a Lenovo.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    I wonder why has no one recommended Macbook yet.
    Not having to deal with all windows or linux configuration and maintenance issues, in my justifies the price premium as it saves a lot of precious, billable time. Over time, I learned a lot of keyboard shortcuts, which save even more time. Speaking of keyboards, one of the best in laptops, especially the backlit one in MacBook Pro (the only better ones are in IBM Thinkpads, not sure if lenovo keeps up the tradition) Visualisations look ultra-cool as well.
    I have mine and never looked back since, I installed trimmed XP in a VMWare but I rarely eve used, if I did. Unity in new VMWare, means your Windows Apps behave just like native Mac Apps (you can cmd-tab etc).
    It has been suggested, that Macbooks don't have to be upgraded as often, due to better optimised software and build quality, which might further justify the purchase.

If you're buying, you might wait until the new ones come out (it's a rumour but quite reliable, I think)

Leave a comment:

• SmithsonianWA
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    They're scaling back in Oz too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7530570.stm

But looking to expand in Europe: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7450098.stm
    <anti-globalisation rant>
    Never good news about people losing their jobs.. but good news about less Starbucks from my point of view. I dont see why people enjoy the cookie cut shops / cafes - all the same everywhere you go.
    Most of Europe has proper little cafes and coffee shops already.. why would we want McDonalds cafes to spring up everywhere. It's nice to be able to find places with character and maybe even the guy who owns it, runs it? or even works there
    </anti-globalisation rant>

I've got the Dell XPS 1330.. been fairly good. Had to have the MB replaced due to a power problem on it though. I wouldnt go the 13 inch screen again. I think the 15 would be a nice unit.

One other thing I had never considered before (until I tried to run 64 bit exchange 2007 last night!). The processor has to be able to support some special feature for 64 bit OS's. I think it is called VT in Intel. Im not a hardware guy, but I believe it is not available to turn on in all machines.

I think I am going to swing to the new Macbook Pro when it comes out.

Cheers,

Tim.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I really like the look of these:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...4-3723312.html

May not be ideal for a dev station though.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    They're scaling back in Oz too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7530570.stm

But looking to expand in Europe: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7450098.stm

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    New Macbook Pro rumoured to be out in September; might be interesting if you swing that way

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    New Macbook Pro rumoured to be out in September; might be interesting if you swing that way

Leave a comment:

Working...
X