• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Website parking

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Website parking"

Collapse

• Tevh
    replied
    Wilmslow, if you are interested in a hosting package I can vouch for Zen. I have a shared hosting Gold account with them for one of my clients and they are good. Their prices aren't as cheap as some of the competition, however, their servers are UK based and they own their own network which makes a big difference.

If you just want to park some domains companies such as 123-reg and UK Reg will do it for free and they also will forward email to your regular account for free.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    <pimp>

Try http://www.ardescosolutions.com. Will give you all you need on the hosting side, just need to buy your domain from random cheapy domain seller and park it with us.

</pimp>

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    Microsoft Office live will give you a domain name for free - and web space to host it & email (basic).
    You can pick from a whole load of suffixes, but not all of them. Seems fairly good so far. The domain name is registered in your name, so you can move it after the initial period.
    If you want more than the basics, not sure its as good value, but......Not had any spam yet either!

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Domain name info is available from a number of different sources - lists of newly registered domains, expired domains, whois etc.

I register domains with LCN (not bad prices but only POP3 e-mail) and I park any spare domains at Sedo, which you can do for free and make a few pennies from any click thru's. It gets some traffic through them too, so that they become known to search engines etc. And you might even sell one!

You don't need to buy webspace to park your domain, all you do is delegate the nameserver(s) or redirect the URL.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Bought it through 123-reg about a year ago......

However our host (not 123-reg) does have a spam filter which may filter a lot out.......

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    I don't get much spam to my info address at all, around 4 emails a month actually:
    That's interesting, I assumed it was the same for everyone! I bought mine via either ukreg or 123-reg, I wonder if they sell off the new domain info to spammers.

Who did you get your domain from and how long ago?

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    I don't get much spam to my info address at all, around 4 emails a month actually:

1 from a recruitment consultant
    2 from companies in india asking if I want to be on their business lists
    1 from the Times offfering me a 'fantastic deal' on advertising

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    one email address would suffice (would go for info@****.co.uk) - any advice welcome!
    I wouldn't use info@...... this is a common email address and with be spammed to goodness!

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    In terms of site development I am sure others will come and quote you for a nice site

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally Posted by Mhtml on Coding Forums.com

Domains are like women - all the good ones are taken unless you want one from some foreign country.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Ok.... Where is good for hosting? Am I as well to buy and host at the same time? Also, what about designing the website? I am not a web developer, so want an easy to buy, host and design deal.
    Free hosting - I use freehosita, does what it says on the tin.

In terms of site development I am sure others will come and quote you for a nice site

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Hosting site is another matter from parking - GoDaddy is bad for hosting, but they have free parking if you need to register domain name to keep it until the point when you need to host it.

I think you were just confused about difference between site parking and hosting - you need hosting, not parking, so GoDaddy is only good to buy domain, but host it elsewhere.

Ok.... Where is good for hosting? Am I as well to buy and host at the same time? Also, what about designing the website? I am not a web developer, so want an easy to buy, host and design deal.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Hosting site is another matter from parking - GoDaddy is bad for hosting, but they have free parking if you need to register domain name to keep it until the point when you need to host it.

I think you were just confused about difference between site parking and hosting - you need hosting, not parking, so GoDaddy is only good to buy domain, but host it elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    GoDaddy sells cheap domains and I am pretty certain they park them for free - I use them myself.
    Looked at GoDaddy - looks confusing. Says it includes email, then charges for this as an extra.

Kind of thinking about Zen to be honest - costs a lot more, but I feel the website looks more profesisonal.

Basically, I need to create the website and host from scratch., one email address would suffice (would go for info@****.co.uk) - any advice welcome!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    GoDaddy sells cheap domains and I am pretty certain they park them for free - I use them myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X