• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: wireless networks

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "wireless networks"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Viktor View Post
    Try to set the wireless channel to a number between 1 and 12. The second laptop might have a wireless chipset designed for other regions, in that case it won't see channels above 12...
    winner

took me a while to find the channel setting though

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    You don't have MAC address filtering set up do you???

Leave a comment:

• Techyoo
    replied
    Wireless Networks

I will suggest you try checking the encryption settings, some 802.x (b) adapters may not identify networks security higher than WEP.

I have had several encounters with BT Hubs, on this issue.

Best of Luck!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I'm trying to connect my other laptop to my wireless network for the wife to use... but it won't see the router. It sees every other network in the area just not my damn network

Anyone know of any possible reasons?

I know the network works fine, PC, main laptop, PS3 and PSP all connect to it without any problems
    Linksys routers have a bug connecting to some types of laptop.

Try a fixed ip.

Leave a comment:

• Viktor
    replied
    Try to set the wireless channel to a number between 1 and 12. The second laptop might have a wireless chipset designed for other regions, in that case it won't see channels above 12...

Leave a comment:

• fzbucks
    replied
    Is the laptop that doesn't work windows Vista by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Is your router configured for 802.11g operation only and the second lap only supports 802.11b?

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    might sound daft but try turning off / on the laptop wireless card.

If it's built in many have an external switch or use a Fn key to turn off and on.

I've had a couple where the inbuilt wireless card was broken when I bought them, and a couple where I had accidentally turned the internal card off

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    also tested by reconnecting with the PSP... it sees the network fine.

I've a definite feeling that something is wrong or different with the laptop wireless setup and not the router.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    checked and yeah its broadcasting

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    only just set up it up 2 weeks ago, not been on the router since

Will go and double check now anyway

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Have you only just set up the network or have the other PC's etc been connected for a while? If it's been running for a while double check the SSID broadcast. You may well have gone back and turned it off after setting the network and forgotton you did it. I've seen it happen more than once

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Is the router actually broadcasting it's SSID? They have an option to turn of the broadcast to hid them from unwanted visitors.
    as i said, the other computers are all connected and i connected them using very simple steps and not manually entering anything apart from the network key for authentication.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I'm trying to connect my other laptop to my wireless network for the wife to use... but it won't see the router. It sees every other network in the area just not my damn network

I know the network works fine, PC, main laptop, PS3 and PSP all connect to it without any problems
    Is the router actually broadcasting it's SSID? They have an option to turn of the broadcast to hide them from unwanted visitors.

Try putting the SSID into the laptop manually and see if it finds it.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    started a topic wireless networks

wireless networks

Working...
X