• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: DMOZ

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DMOZ"

Collapse

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    who needs DMOZ when we have Google?
    DMOZ provide information to hundreds of search engines and directories out there, including the Google Directory. You may not search it directly but each search you make will probably be using data from it.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    To grant Netscape Communications Corporation a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, publish, copy, edit, modify, or create derivative works from my submission
    Who the hell are Netscape?!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I started the process but stopped after reading the Submission Agreements:

* To grant Netscape Communications Corporation a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, publish, copy, edit, modify, or create derivative works from my submission.
    I'll pass thanks.
    How do you expect them to publish your submission if you don't give them permission? How are they to include it in one of their directory pages - in other words, a derivative work - if you don't grant them a licence to do so?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Damn.

I though Fiddle had returned...
    Snap!

Might go off hunting Roger, pF (dear boy), et al, just for fun.....

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    At least they freely admit they might rip off your content, because the rest of the world will anyway as soon as you go live (if your content is any good that is)

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    I started the process but stopped after reading the Submission Agreements:

In exchange for ODP's consideration of the site I am submitting, I agree

* To be bound by the ODP's Terms of Use.
    * To waive any claim related to the inclusion, placement, exclusion, or removal of this or any other site in the ODP Directory or to the title or description of any site appearing in the ODP Directory; and
    * To grant Netscape Communications Corporation a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, publish, copy, edit, modify, or create derivative works from my submission.
    I'll pass thanks.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Agreed, I was reading an interesting article recently that argued that the very thing that made DMOZ great has turned out to be it's biggest downfall - I.e. the reliability of data due to everything being validated has caused the directory to become too quickly out of date and corrupt....

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    Is this information still valid?

Does a DMOX submission help in internet searches at all now?

Thanks
    It's still considered by the Google indexing algo to be an authority of the internet, which means that a backlink from DMOZ is still worth a few brownie points for your website Google page rank. That said a lot of DMOZ categories are very difficult to get listed in and a lot of DMOZ category editors are basically corrupt gits protecting their own interests, so you might want to think about some other method of improving your web presence / SERPS popularity. It's a submit and forget process void of any feedback mechanism to the submitter. DMOZ needs to die.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Is this information still valid?

Does a DMOX submission help in internet searches at all now?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Virtually nobody searches dmoz for searches but many search engines use it's directory results. Getting a site in DMOZ improves google rankings.

Next time you spot some results from google (or many others come to that) that mention a directory - that's usually an extract of DMOZ.

If you want to promote a website you need to know how the search engines do their magic I've put a lot of effort into that but I still have plenty to learn.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    who needs DMOZ when we have Google?

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic DMOZ

DMOZ

Has anybody else noticed that dmoz.org - the open directory project - seems to be turning up its' toes.

I've been checking to see if one of my submissions has been entered fairly regularly and often find the site is down.

Working...
X