• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Managing Mac's

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Managing Mac's"

Collapse

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Never used Macs in a work environment - too risky for most banks, but have been all-Mac at home for the last few years.

You whould be aware that admin access in OSX is akin to Root in Unix/Linux so you wouldn't want to be running that as your everyday user anyway.
    I don't think that's true. Admin is different to root access I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• soleside
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    It's very easy to create profiles with limited access, not sure about remotely though.
    I think this is the quickest and easiest solution

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Use Fusion.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Never used Macs in a work environment - too risky for most banks, but have been all-Mac at home for the last few years.

You whould be aware that admin access in OSX is akin to Root in Unix/Linux so you wouldn't want to be running that as your everyday user anyway.

It's very easy to create profiles with limited access, not sure about remotely though.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Not sure if it's relevant to your situation, but Slashdot had some links that might be useful a few days ago.

OT: As your post mentions both Macs and Windows, it is of course incumbent upon me to suggest that you get rid of the Windows boxes and switch everybody to Macs, thereby solving all your problems

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    started a topic Managing Mac's

Managing Mac's

We have a couple of Apple Macs on site here, and they are a bit of a pain. Basically they have full admin access, install what they like and we have no-clue whats on there.

I want to change that and get them locked down to a sensible level, take away their admin access and use SMS to have a look what tulipe they have installed.

Anyone done this in a Windows / AD shop? I have found a package that claims to help do this..

http://www.quest.com/quest-managemen...sions-for-sms/

Any war stories on managing Mac's using this or other tools?

Working...
X