• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: WiFi flakiness

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WiFi flakiness"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan
    I always wear a tin foil hat whenever I'm in the house.
    What a waste of power. I stick a potato on the wifi antenna and it microwaved by lunchtime.

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Change the channel

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    or even tulipecom.....

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Things went from bad to worse, and kept losing the connection for long periods. Now I've swapped the Sitecom piece of poo for the Belkin card in the old PC, and it's all working fine.

There you go. Don't buy Sitecom.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird
    what about your gonads ?
    I wear them whether I'm inside the house or not.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    what about your gonads ?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird
    aren't you afraid of all those "wireless signals" ?

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    aren't you afraid of all those "wireless signals" ?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor1
    I used the same product and had the same problems, its a pile of pooh, gave up in the end and just bought the USB thingy, only get probs sometimes with that.
    That's good then.

Now it seems to be dropping the connection and reconnecting every now and again. I could understand if it said the signal was "poor", but it's a bit annoying that it goes from "excellent" to not connected and back again.

I'm now using my laptop as a radio.

What I really ought to do is run a phone line into the room I use as an office, put the router in there and connect the desktops via good old reliable wired ethernet and just use wireless for the laptop. I've never been convinced by using WiFi as an alternative.

Leave a comment:

• Ivor1
    replied
    This one I think:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...45078&doy=31m5

Windows says:

"Sitecom Wireless Network PCI adapter Turbo G WL-171"
    I used the same product and had the same problems, its a pile of pooh, gave up in the end and just bought the USB thingy, only get probs sometimes with that.

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Then don't be such a tight arse and get a new one...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Yes using XP, and it wasn't using the zero configuration thing, but it now is so we'll see if that does anything different.

The other desktop (that works) is sat right next to it, so it doesn't seem likely that there's any kind of interference. My laptop works flawlessly anywhere in the house.

What I should do is open up both PCs and swap the WiFi cards around and see if that changes things.

I imagine there is a firmware upgrade for the router as I've pretty much ignored it for 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Barriebazg
    replied
    Do you have Mcafee running your wireless security by any chance???

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Orangutan
    Are you running XP ?
    I've had a lot of problems with Wireless Zero Configurator (WZC), which have gone away since I started shutting down WZC once a connection with the router was made.

Previously it would disconnect and reconnect again intermittently.
    But Microshaft claim its working normally !

Same here. I disabled WZC in the end and let the adaptors native connection app do the job and it works fine.

I also found that the wireless TV remote sender we have was causing interferance with the connection and visa versa untill I messed with the senders channel settings and moved the router.

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Is there a firmware upgrade for the router? I had this issue so decided to go for the newer version of the router and all my troubles went away.

You could also try changing the chanel on the router and PC's...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X