• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are Homeplugs/wireless extenders wireless products?"

Collapse

• RSoles
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan
    .... they turn your electrical network into a big transmitter.
    Skynet.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    F.U.D.

Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

A tried-and-tested tactic that works on pretty much anything.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan
    I saw an article recently claiming jumbo jets will be falling from the sky due to the uptake of these powerline ethernet adaptors and how they turn your electrical network into a big transmitter.
    I thought the millenium bug had taken care of all the jumbo jets?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    The Panorama program has been efficiently (IMO) debunked by the excellent badscience.net on the grounds that the 'experiments' were scientifically worthless and te engineer behind them has a lucrative sideline in expensive anti Wi-Fi devices, paints etc. Do yourself a favour and read the article before you do anything drastic.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    I saw an article recently claiming jumbo jets will be falling from the sky due to the uptake of these powerline ethernet adaptors and how they turn your electrical network into a big transmitter.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99
    that does definately make sence !
    Oh, all right.
    sense.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    There is a losless file compression method available for music but i'm suffering a mind blank atm, i'm sure one of our estemed forum members will remember the name of it though.
    Zip?

As for the original question, those wireless extenders are to extend wireless, obviously, so they do transmit and receive. I assume there's a similar thing you can get that isn't wireless, just with a Cat5 socket?

Also I'd suggest putting some wet toilet roll around your head to stop the CIA from reading your thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• fzbucks
    replied
    Hi, I have a query on homeplugs/wireless extenders

I have a few wireless products at home and all perform well.

In light of a program on the Tv this week regrading the dangers of wireless connections on kids, i have decided to be proactive and remove any wireless products from the house.

My current wiress products are :
    1) 2 laptops with wireless connection
    2) 2 desktops with wireless connection
    3) 2 Philips wireless TV receiver/broadcaster
    4) Wireless ADSL router/moderm
    5) Bluetooth Moderm
    6) Xbox 360, PS3, PSP

I came across a few homeplug/wireless extenders on the net and dont seem to know if these products are actually using mains supply to extend ethernet connectivity or is it just a case that they are infact small wireless products that are mains powered

Please can anyone shed light on this. For instance will I be able to buy a NON-wireless ADSL Router and then buy these homeplugs to use for connectivity.

The main thing is that I need to know if these homeplugs are actually wireless products

cheers

css_jay99
    Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to keep your existing wireless connections and just make tinfoil hats for your children - the panorama show was absolute tripe and one sided scaremongering - besides if you remove your wireless networks - the waves from your neighbours will still come through your walls and get your family - which the tinfoil hats would also protect you against.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy
    flac
    Thats the one!!

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    For a home network solution I think you can use something called xten, that plugs into sockets and you have the software running on a desktop somewhere that controls it all, but that's about all I know

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    There is a losless file compression method available for music but i'm suffering a mind blank atm, i'm sure one of our estemed forum members will remember the name of it though.
    flac

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    So in terms of physical connectivity the circuits are all connected via this common line.
    that does definately make sence !

Originally posted by cojak
    And you're ripping out wireless connections why exactly??
    protecting my brain/balls from beign fried in the long run. It certainly cant be good for you

You have already lost half the bass and treble if you are using MP3 format so it probably won't make much difference either way. Considering you are listening to music that is heavy on bass and treble i'm surprised you are storing them in MP3 format....

what format do you suggest ?. Wav is too big

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    my question is, is there a huge difference with feedig an amp with digital / phono inputs. I am always of the opinion that digital input amps are best for peolple that listing to classical/acoustic music as compared to someone like me that listens to Rnb, rap, pop, drum & base which heavily depends on bass and treble. bear in mind that all my music is on my HDD in mp3 format (192kpbs). would i benefit from digital input or its more for an audio freak

any one here got a sonos misic system ?
    cheers

css_jay99
    You have already lost half the bass and treble if you are using MP3 format so it probably won't make much difference either way. Considering you are listening to music that is heavy on bass and treble i'm surprised you are storing them in MP3 format....

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I find that difficult to belive it works via electricity.

I am no scientist but Here is my theory (might be wrong of course!)

As far as electricity wiring goes, each zone of the house (i.e bathroom/kitchen/upstairs/downstairs wall sockets, bathroom ....)
    are all usually isolated and connected separately in a fusebox (in the house).

For electricity to pass from point A to B, it is a fact that there must me a current as well as a wired connection between those two points

Giving the statements above, then how the heck could there exist an ethernet connection between wall sockects on different fuses in a fuse box?, It just dos not make sence

anyone care to explain ?

css_jay99
    And you're ripping out wireless connections why exactly??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X