• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "win 98 - online but can't access web pages"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Wow, yeah...

Ch3W is da man. The bomb-diggity, even...

This is such a common problem within win98 and ME that I'm surprised I haven't found it easier to find this solution for it. I'm a new Tech Servant in Iowa and frankly, I run into this problem easily2 to 3 times a week. Usually we wind up just doing a reformat and reinstall of the OS. But no longer.

Thanks Ch3W...from the bottom of my heart...

Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Ch3W is da man!

Bill Gates is probably now the richest man on the planet.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ch3W is da man!

My IE6 browser on W98 stopped working this afternoon after I swapped in a different brand cable modem, then went back to my original. Tried the Ch3W fix, and it worked as advertised. Will be spending the rest of the evening reinserting the hair back in my head that I pulled out the past few hours trying "everything". Then I started searching and ended up here. Yeah, this is my first post... I actually registered just to give a kudo to Ch3W.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: SunSpots

You may find this useful in your ongoing attempts at support

BOFH Excuse generator

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: hahaha

sunspots

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: hahaha

I decided not to spend last weekend formatting my hard drive and reinstalling win 98. Instead I upgraded to win 2000 pro, and guess what - I can now view web pages.

I still wonder why all the suggested solutions( both from here and numerous discussion boards) did not resolve the problem.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    hahaha

lol I didn't spot that at all fiddler!

Rab I didn't mean to sound patronising sorry. Remember I have no idea of your depth of knowledge and was trying to help you man.

It's just I've sent that fix to so many people in the past and they've claimed it didn't work. Except when I run through the fix on their computer it works just fine.

Question... since running through my fix.. have you tried pinging domain names? Do that please. Are you still getting unknown host?
    If this time it is replying... please ensure that you have not set a proxy server or something in IE when you've tried to fix this fault.

I know I'm persistant, but I've seen this situation literally 100's of times (I @#%$ you not).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: connect problem

> speedblaster(a so called internet connection booster)

these things frig around with some of the magic numbers in registry keys for stuff to do with DUN - unless it did more I can't see how it would cause your problem.

Screensaver ??? - that ??? assumes you keep your anti- virus software up to date.

In my case I don't recall doing anything - one day it was working the next not - bit like contracting

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    connect problem

I had a similar problem that I couldn't understand.

It turns out to be the modem. I could use it on one ISP and it work OK, but on NTL, it wouldn't.

I had to remove the modem (driver, not hardware) then re-add it.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: let me explain a little more.....

Any idea what is is that fouls things up in the first place then ?
    Someone here downloaded something called speedblaster(a so called internet connection booster) and the merc clk screen saver on the same day, and it has not worked since then even though I have now uninstalled both.

I remember having this problem earlier in the year. At the time I uninstalled my firewall and everything was then OK. To resolve the current problem, I have again uninstalled my firewall, but still no joy.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Ah but you must remember that nobody reads stuff properly these days.

For instance I made a subtle change to my sig purely for the purpose of amusing/winding up ch3w (ITV Wales ??) - did he spot it - absolutely not or at least he didn't comment on it. My skills are wasted here

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Ch3W,
    I do remember thanking you for your suggested fix, and I also said, having followed it to the letter TWICE, it did not work.
    There is no need to be patronising.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I've only ever seen this fault occur with win98 & ME.
    Never with NT, 2k or XP.

Some say it's caused by the old newnet plugin, some say it's just a windows winsock bug. I'd guess the latter ;-)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Any idea what is is that fouls things up in the first place then ?

If this were an XP system would restoring system to last known good checkpoint be likely to clear it up.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    let me explain a little more.....

Ok... the fix that I posted is this:

1. Remove TCP/IP from the network stack, DO NOT REBOOT THE PC
    2. Take a backup of the registry
    3. Completely remove the hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\servic es\winsock2 key.
    4. Reboot the PC
    5. Reinstall TCP/IP, and reboot once more
    6. Problem should now be fixed

Let me explain it in more user friendly terms:

1)Go to control panel, network, select all instances of TCP/IP and remove them.

2) CLICK OK, BUT WHEN IT ASKS TO RESTART SAY NO!! (this is very important)

3)Click start, run, and type: regedit
    You will now be in what is called the windows registry editor, be careful in here. Look for hkey local machine and navigate down it's tree to system, currentcontrolset, services.... notice that something on the right hand side of the window is labelled: winsock2
    Select winsock2 so that it is highlighted, and press delete on your keyboard. You will be prompted are you sure you want to remove this key, click yes.

4)Now restart windows

5)When windows has reloaded, go back to control panel, then network. Click add, then choose protocol and select TCP/IP. This will re-install TCP/IP.

6)Click OK. It is now safe to restart windows. So when it asks if you want to restart say yes.

7)When windows is restarted... your fault WILL be fixed.

Please let me know how you get on. If you have trouble understanding the fix, PM me your phone number and I'll talk you through it. There is no need to format mate. Enjoy your weekend instead!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X