• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Multiple Email Clients"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: setting up multiple email accounts on Outlook XP

I'm not sure if this is the most effective way, but it's how I do it and works fine...

Open Outlook

Create the inboxes that you want

Select Rules Wizard from the Tools Menu

Click New...

Select 'Start from a Blank Rule'

Select 'Check Messages when they arrive'

Click Next

Check the 'Sent to People or Distribution List' box

In the bottom half of the screen click on the underlined link. This will open your contacts folder. If the email addresses you want to use aren't there, add them using the 'New' button.

Select the address you want and click OK

Click Next

Check the 'Move it to the specified folder' box

In the bottom half of the screen click on the underlined 'specified' link. This will open a folder tree. Select the one you want and click OK.

Click Next. Add any exceptions if you want to...

Click Next. Enter a name for the rule (I use the Email address I've set up the rule for)

Check run the rule now if you want to..
    Click Finish.

Hope this helps!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: setting up multiple email accounts on Outlook XP

im sorry guys for the multiple postings. Each time i tried to submit it, the page went blank and I did not know it posted. Sorry again.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    setting up multiple email accounts on Outlook XP

This is in reguards to:
    "Absolutely, and what's more you don't need to spawn several copies of Outlook to do it.

Using rules, you can separate the incoming emails from each account into their own respective "inbox" folders - or even better, categories them according to subject, sender or your own headings.

Of course, check out Mark's solution too - Outlook isn't everyone's cup of tea.

But it does for me. It's (Express) a reasonable news reader too.

RobAnt
    I've come over all shy!"

Could someone please explain step by step how to setup multiple email accounts on Outlook? I am a webmaster and have 5 different email accounts associated with my website. I set up Outlook XP with all 5 accounts but when I click on send/receive, all the messages are downloaded into just 1 inbox. Could some one please show me how to have each different email accounts email go into its own seperate "inbox" so I can have them neatly orginized? I would appreciate any and all help. I have been racking my brain for the last 5 hours trying to figure this out. Thank you in advance for all the help. You can contact me at [email protected]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

This is in reguards to:
    "Absolutely, and what's more you don't need to spawn several copies of Outlook to do it.

Using rules, you can separate the incoming emails from each account into their own respective "inbox" folders - or even better, categories them according to subject, sender or your own headings.

RobAnt
    I've come over all shy!"

Could someone please explain step by step how to setup multiple email accounts on Outlook? I am a webmaster and have 5 different email accounts associated with my website. I set up Outlook XP with all 5 accounts but when I click on send/receive, all the messages are downloaded into just 1 inbox. Could some one please show me how to have each different email accounts email go into its own seperate "inbox" so I can have them neatly orginized? I would appreciate any and all help. I have been racking my brain for the last 5 hours trying to figure this out. Thank you in advance for all the help. You can contact me at [email protected]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

This is in reguards to:

RobAnt
    I've come over all shy!"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Multiple Email Clients - a slightly different angle...

If you want a mailserver, that will collect all your POP3 emails, and hold all your outgoing SMTP mails until you connect to the net again (for your own network) then I have written a mailserver and released it for free.

It is at www.revilloc.com/mailserver

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I've been using POP access for ages with Outlook for my yahoo account. But recently they started sending me email saying that the service would stop unless a fee was paid. I only receive, at the most, five 1kb to 20kb messages a day on it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Don't know - would be interested to find out though.

Are you saying that Yahoo do not provide POP access at all, or just that you have to dial in using a Yahoo account to POP?

I cannot imagine any reason why they would do that, apart from creating another revenue stream, or just wanting to charge for the space your incoming email is using up on their servers.

Do you have a particularly busy inbox at yahoo?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

BTW, Yahoo have stopped pop access for their free email accounts.

Is this right or have they just asked for cash from me and no-one else?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I've done a simple tutorial. Positive criticism and/or comments on how to improve it would be very welcome.

www.ramms.co.uk/email_accounts.htm

PS/ I accept that my description of SMTP blocking isn't totally technically correct - but it is from a practical standpoint.

In fact, prior to my previous statement, ISPs DO NOT block outbound SMTP traffic to remote services. But most remote services (such as ISPs) block incoming SMTP from anywhere other than known hosts.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

: blush

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks, everyone (particularly Robant). I can now send email using my co.uk account.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

:lol :lol

Of course.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Actually, no ISP allows you to SEND email via any service except their own SMTP servers.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

unless you get hold of an open relay - 9 out of 10 spammers recommend them ;-)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Actually, no ISP allows you to SEND email via any service except their own SMTP servers.

So Lynn's domain hosts are perfectly correct in what they say. They could not accept SMTP traffic from her because they do not offer end user node facilities of their own. They can only store and forward traffic for collection by POP accounts.

The outgoing side of all your email accounts must go via your ISPs SMTP server - your ISP will actively bar all other SMTP traffic.

You simply configure your email accounts to look as though they are coming from your own domain, by editing the email and reply address to reflect your own domain email address.

IE in Outlook, on the General Tab of each account, set the Email and Reply address to your own details (ie [email protected] in both parts)

On the Server Tab

set the POP setting to your domains pop server ie <popbox>.mydomain.co.uk (<popbox>as advised by your domain hosts).

On each account set the SMTP setting to that advised by your ISP = ie smpt.myisp.co.uk.

Set the Account Name & password setting to the actual account you want to pick up from your <popbox>.

Some domain hosts allow you to have several accounts on your domain, with an email address for each. So each "named" account would need a separate email account set up within Outlook.

However, there is often a way to configure a single email address to pick up every address that is sent to that domain - ie <anythingyoulike>@mydomain.co.uk.

It all gets a bit complicated from here on in, but once the concept is grasped it is simplicity itself (and as many people here can testify, if I can get it anyone can).

"But I want to be able to SEND from different account names as well" - I hear you cry.

Ok, from within Outlook you can do that too. All you have to do is ensure that an outlook email account exists for that account then you can "Send Using" instead of simply using the Send button. Send Using is found in the "File" drop down menu.

Oh, and just to clarify one final point. You don't have to have a named account set up at your domain host to "send using" that account - simply set it up the General tab using the details you want to be displayed in the outgoing mail - but set the details on the Server tab to identical settings of the primary collecting account - it won't matter. You could have 2 5 15 or 20 accounts, all poping and smtping the same actual accounts, but displaying different information in your actual outgoing emails.

Of course its not "best practice". It starts getting overly complicated and unmanageable.

Should I put up some help pages on my website with screen captures, etc.?? How much interest is there in this topic?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X