• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BT Broadband

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BT Broadband"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: XP pro or home ?

Apparently it started out as webmail, then POP3 was added.

From Feb, the POP3 bit will only work if you pay for the enhanced version.

Since I have other POP3 email accounts, talk21 can stay as webmail.

You can't open a new talk21 account anyway.

It's been replaced by btopenworld.

Which is the same thing with a different name.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

My point exactly, although I always thought it was webmail. Do you mean webmail only? I didn't realise you could pop it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

talk21 is about to go to webmail unless you pay £1-50/month to get POP3.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Yes, you have to pay extra for a standard email account - or use one of those spam infested services, like talk21. I couldn't find a service that allowed you to use an proper email client that you didn't have to pay for via their customer website.

By in=house services, I mean webspace, email, fixed or dynamic IP allocation, spam/virus filtering, etc., etc., BT aren't very good when it comes to these value added services imho.

Most others provide these at no extra charge and/or without added spam!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Sorry Rob. Am I benig thick. WWhat do yu mean by in house services. Do you have to pay more to have email? Surely not

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Point taken, and I have witnessed some ISPs losing connectivity to the Internet from time to time.

But my experience is there is little to chose between them on the whole. Except for price and in-house services offered.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

> ADSL is ADSL, so the quality of the connection is the same as any other, really

From the exchange to ISP maybe but if the ISP has cr@p connectivity it will be slower than one who has invested in decent kit and connections.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

No "in-house" email for BT Broadband anymore - you have to pay for it as a separate item, or use something like hotmail. I was amazed when I discovered that after visiting a clients site, who claimed he couldn't get his email sorted! Now I know why.

They supply the modem, but charge quite a lot more than most other suppliers, and when you consider a modem can be bought for roughly £30 now it's a bit of a swizz.

ADSL is ADSL, so the quality of the connection is the same as any other, really. It is the provision of value added services where BT fall down, badly.

3/10 for effort, in my view.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Plusnet are OK been using them for 2 years,

had a little hiccup a month ago with IMAP (I now use another ISP for mail) , once I got through 1st line 'support' which took a couple of weeks and threats of a compensation claim I was sorted pretty quickly.

Nice reliable service on the whole, support used to be very good, since my last problem though I'm not so sure.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I use BT and had a nightmare getting going. The customer service had me pulling my hair out. Since that it has been ok but I am still considering switching and the one I would switch to is pipex - heard nothing but good reports about them.
    Cheers
    Earl

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

good for you. to be sure reject unspecified MAC's on router - bear in mind that if you using WiFi access point connected to router then anyone who hi-jacks it will have legit access - so use security option on it.

its well pleasing to use wireless on laptop - had great time reading book on bed while still being online to chat to people - best of both worlds!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

got it. the tcpip settings on the network card were still configured to a static ip address although my modem/router gives dhcp. but i also had to tweak some firewall settings in line with what you mentioned atw, so ta. the boxes upstairs are wired, only the laptop is currently wireless but that will change.
    must remember to set up mac restrictions though...i remember mark mentioning this about a year ago and i wondered what on earth he was talking about! how could you find out if somebody was hijacking your internet access?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

make sure you dont have some firewall that denies access - zonealarm might not consider internal network as Trusted by default and will just reject connections so its impossible to set shares etc

my setup here is router connectd to cable modem + wifi access point, my 2 mates use WiFi to access I use cable on my desktop and Wifi on laptop. Works like a charm.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    XP pro or home ?

pro on all machines

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    XP pro or home ?

I have no problems using xp pro on the laptop, however I have heard that there can be probs with XP home - What are you running ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X