• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "how to install oracle Apps?"

Collapse

• Fishface
    replied
    Oracle stalls

my install of Oracle application server infrastructure on Oracle linux stalls at 51% and does nothing - no error - nothing - it stops - doesn't budge.

Any ideas why this happens?

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Yeah,

A normal 100 base T £7 quid from Maplins.

Cowboy Bob alerted me to that.

It has been said Linux and Gigabit ethernets are problematic.

I popped one in and works out of the box.

Leave a comment:

• Robwg
    replied
    ANy ideas which cards it does work with? You have got me worried now :-)

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    I can't download from edelivery.oracle.com
    Everytime it takes the personal details and replies that export validation is required. please help
    Go back to the site a couple of days later and it should let you in.

Unless you are downloading to Cuba or Venezeula.

And be cautious of of Oracle Linux (Red Hat Linux 4) its driver support for a fair number of NIC cards is non-existant.

My broadcom card module will not load and execute

So **ck it I am going the Ubuntu way - hopefully that works.

Linux is such a faff.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    I can't download from edelivery.oracle.com
    Everytime it takes the personal details and replies that export validation is required. please help

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    Oracle download centre.... here http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/index.html

Get apps from edelivery......... here http://edelivery.oracle.com/

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface
    Where on Oracle.com do you order the DVD's or CD's from? cannot find it at all

http://oraclestore.oracle.com/OA_HTM...RE&language=US

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Where on Oracle.com do you order the DVD's or CD's from? cannot find it at all

Leave a comment:

• atul_iiit
    replied
    Hi This is my first reply on this forum as I have just started in contarcting Market as Apps DBA.

If you wish to install Apps for testing , I would suggest install VMware on your XP laptop & then install linux on VMware .

Install Apps on this linux on VM ware .

For staep by step installation on latest R12 follow my post at

http://becomeappsdba.blogspot.com/search/label/r12

Leave a comment:

• Robwg
    replied
    Yes - to all those saying that it failed on Linux - in the 11i and 12.0 Linux install guides - they are fairly specific with what build of Linux they want.

You won't go wrong with the Oracle Linux apparently.

Installing the database on it's own incidently is pretty easy - and generally won't go wrong. Not sure how you can install 11i without the Finance modules - but there you go.

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    I'm an ex-Oracle apps consultant (olap, GL etc 12 years hacking away got me nowt) and I totally agree with the install being pickey, it's alot easier these days than it used to be, but still a bit of a pain, for example. Apps Manager "sometimes" picks up apache/insert whichever webserver here, sometimes misses it, also if you have a requirement for the OLAP legacy stuff (i.e express services), you have to install that first.

The basic Database drop (11i) onto a clean box is OK, even I managed it, but as soom as you start wanting to add the financials (ie. GL, AP,AR etc) you have to know what you are doing.

otn is a great resource, or better still , try and sign up for a metalink account (if you are working for an oracle apps user, then use their CSI number) otherwise send an email to metalink admin and ask then (nicely) that you are an apps dba and you want to participate in the forums.

oh, and don't mention the patch process, make sure you have your basic "features" included in the package you want from first off (for example, don't just choose an earlier version of 11i if 12 is what you want), otherwise you'll have to patch it, and I can tell you, that Patching *anything* in Oracle Apps, across disparate sub-applications is just not fun, no matter how much you get paid for it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If you are doing it on XP then your best bet is to do it on a completely clean build, installing onto an internal hard drive.

I tried SUSE Linux and it failed on there a few times, so rebuilt my PC with XP Pro and installed it on there - no problems. As much as it offends me to be running Oracle Apps on XP, it seems to work for me.

Have a look on OTN - there are some really good threads on the forums about it (and good for troubleshooting). Last resort, you could look at appsdba who sell pre-built systems and also have a DIY option for installation. Not the cheapest, but you do get support which is probably worth it.

Faqqer

Leave a comment:

• Robwg
    replied
    I would give serious thought to getting a cheap unix box. and keep it dedicated to oracle.

I have had lots of problems in the past trying to get a reliable install on windows or linux (although I wasnt using the same flavour of linux as they recommended).
    found it much easier on solaris and hpux.

the sparc boxes that take ide drives are cheap/easy.
    I think the general rule of thumb with oracle (especially the E-business suite) is that when you stray away from what they recommend (or in fact require) you are asking for trouble.

Oracle do their own version of Linux which apparently is the same as Red-hat (and unlike Redhat is free - although you don't get the support). The installation of 11i with it is fairly painless by all accounts. And as 11i is now developed on Linux as the primary operating system that is what I would expect. Although like I said - I haven't tried it (yet).

A dedicated box is definitely the best option though - it really does clog up your Windows XP install with all sorts of services etc.

Leave a comment:

• where did my id go?
    replied
    I would give serious thought to getting a cheap unix box. and keep it dedicated to oracle.

I have had lots of problems in the past trying to get a reliable install on windows or linux (although I wasnt using the same flavour of linux as they recommended).
    found it much easier on solaris and hpux.

the sparc boxes that take ide drives are cheap/easy.

Leave a comment:

• Robwg
    replied
    No I don't think so - although you could obviously try it.

The installation manual for XP is fairly specific - MKS Toolkit is a requirement - and the installer asks for the MKS Toolkit path, so I doubt VMWare will be enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X