• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: UNIX - help!!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UNIX - help!!"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    The hyphen shouldn't be there.

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?crontab+5

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    There is also the extened syntax in crontab that does some stuff. I have used this for MRTG before, so if I wanted my MRTG to run every 5 minutes i would do

*/5 * * * * root /usr/local/bin/mymrtgscript.sh

As far as the -, I have seen it used to indicate every minute / hour / day between 2 numbers, though this varies between flavours of cron. So for example if you wanted something to run every minute between the first 30 mins of every hour you would do....

1-30 * * * * root /usr/local/bin/mymrtgscript.sh

Or every hour between 9 and 12

1 9-12 * * * root /usr/local/bin/mymrtgscript.sh

You get the idea...

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    The comment # without 3 of the strokes?

Leave a comment:

• sparklelard
    replied
    Looks like it shouldn't be there!

+---------------- minute (0 - 59)
    | +------------- hour (0 - 23)
    | | +---------- day of month (1 - 31)
    | | | +------- month (1 - 12)
    | | | | +---- day of week (0 - 7) (Sunday=0 or 7)
    | | | | |
    * * * * * command to be executed

e.g. 0 0 1 * * cd \;rm -r * &

Which equates to, at midnight on the first day of every month, delete everything from root up. (stops when the rm command file is deleted)

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Crosby
    I thought the first 5 columns were integer values that specify when the 6th field (command) should run.

- can be used between 2 integer values such as 9-11 in the second column would let the job run between 9am to 11am

Does the job run? what does the log in /var/cron say?
    sorry it's actually

so there are 5 columns after the -

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    I thought the first 5 columns were integer values that specify when the 6th field (command) should run.

- can be used between 2 integer values such as 9-11 in the second column would let the job run between 9am to 11am

Does the job run? what does the log in /var/cron say?
    Last edited by Mr Crosby; 30 January 2007, 12:48.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Crosby
    Whats the problem mate?
    Thanks mate.

Probably the daftest question ever but I'm a Cisco kid and my knowledge of Unix is somewhat limited so please excuse my igorance!!!

Basically we're running MRTG on an HP-UX server and wondered what the "-" right at the beginning of the line means in the following text within the crontab file >>>>>

-* * * * root /home/mrtg/fwdev01.sh

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    There is no help for those who have chosen the path to the dark side.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Whats the problem mate?

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    started a topic UNIX - help!!

UNIX - help!!

Any Unix nerds here?

Working...
X