• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bots registering accounts"

Collapse

• Archangel
    replied
    Thanks for the help, some food for thought.

(The accounts are happening at a rate of about 1 per day, from all over the globe, the account names are like this
    First name: iNvHXJCQlmncEuFf
    Last name: kvpBILhXamZKrj)

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    I have an e-commerce website and recently I’ve noticed a lot of new accounts being registered with long random strings as account names and bogus credentials. These accounts obviously don’t order anything.

What’s their game? What are they attempting to achieve?

Any ideas welcome
    Any pattern to the creation date/time?
    E.g all created within 5 secs of each other.

Are the account names with long strings in the format of GUIDs?

If yes to all the above, then it's possible it's an automated hacking tool trying different ways of submitting the signup data to compromise the site.

See if you can stick a CAPTCHA on the front of the signup process.
    Everyone loves a good CAPTCHA!

Sent from my SM-T835 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    If various information is only provided to users rather than visitors then they may be registering dummy accounts to access that data for web scraping or other means.

They may also be part of some penetration testing to find any weaknesses they can exploit for whatever reason, such as if they think you have a list of customers and their details and maybe payment details vulnerable to such exploits.

Look at putting in additional verification steps for new accounts, such as an email link to complete registration so at least the email account must be valid, and ensure only one registration per email account, if only to slow them down and disuade any 'script kiddies' messing about either for entertainment or something more nefarious.

Also worth checking with any others in the business (if applicable) that they're not doing this to massage the user numbers for some reason, such as to hit any targets for sales and marketing.

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    I wonder if they aren't part of an entire profile that is then sold on the dark web. If you've got a big list of stolen credit card numbers and want to test them or use them to make purchases, you could buy a package of already established profiles that are already signed up for various e commerce sites.

That's my guess anyway.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    As to why, I suspect they often target small sites just for practice. I've had various pointless uncompleted purchases, emails, and even tinkerings with the database before I upped the security. No obvious gain for them.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It may help to find where they came from. Is your site aimed at UK users? If so, real users are more likely to be from UK and use recognisable British internet suppliers, BT, Virgin etc. I found most of the garbage visits to my site have come from Russia etc.

In PHP this is really simple, get the ip and internet supplier with:

$ip=$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
    $addr = gethostbyaddr($ip);

Then use IP2C to get the country:

ip2c.org | free IP to Country server | self-updating every day
    Last edited by xoggoth; 5 May 2020, 19:30.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    started a topic Bots registering accounts

Bots registering accounts

I have an e-commerce website and recently I’ve noticed a lot of new accounts being registered with long random strings as account names and bogus credentials. These accounts obviously don’t order anything.

What’s their game? What are they attempting to achieve?

Any ideas welcome

Working...
X