• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Short term 'fibre' broadband?"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by man View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest any ISPs offering a good deal on fibre to the cabinet (or faster) short term (e.g. 6 month) broadband contracts (and/or a longer contract with good cancellation terms rather than a massive fee) . Last time I looked the only reasonable deal around was for 12months+.

Reason I'm interested is that my current gig may not last long due to the imminent IR35 changes and I'm expecting to need to move - and there's no guarantee I'll need or want to move the broadband with me.
    yep.

I did it a few years ago.
    You'll need a BT line with a minimum commitment of a year. No way round that I'm afraid.
    The get an ISP with a monthly cancellation. Zen internet do one. Fast Broadband Deals | Zen Internet

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    I don't know how it is today, back when I used them I had to sign a 12m contract. About 6 months into it I had to move, Hyperoptic allowed me to break out of the contract early not having to pay any penalties (let me off the hook) on account that they couldn't offer their service in my new home.

This one has special offer for 24m contract - £14/m £75 upfront for 50GB, which is a steal for mobile BB
    Looks like they have changed the device from the M1 to the M2 which is a 5G router, bargain of a deal

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    They what?

I use them. If your area/building is connected they'll let you pay month by month for a small amount more than on 12 month contracts. Its targeted at renters.
    I don't know how it is today, back when I used them I had to sign a 12m contract. About 6 months into it I had to move, Hyperoptic allowed me to break out of the contract early not having to pay any penalties (let me off the hook) on account that they couldn't offer their service in my new home.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I've just taken out this offer from EE

Netgear Nighthawk M2 | Business Mobile Broadband | EE Business

£25 a month for 50gb and a bullet proof mobile router
    This one has special offer for 24m contract - £14/m £75 upfront for 50GB, which is a steal for mobile BB
    Last edited by sal; 17 October 2019, 08:41.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Even if they don't Hyper optic let you "off the hook" for free if your new home is not covered by them (or at least they did 3-4 years ago).
    They what?

I use them. If your area/building is connected they'll let you pay month by month for a small amount more than on 12 month contracts. Its targeted at renters.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I've just taken out this offer from EE

Netgear Nighthawk M2 | Business Mobile Broadband | EE Business

£25 a month for 50gb and a bullet proof mobile router

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Smarty 1m contract, £18.75.
    Huawei B525 + Poynting XPOL-01.
    Last two might be a bit expensive though...

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Direct Save Telecom do and I think Now tv do a 1 month rolling contract but not 100% sure. If you live in a building that uses hyperoptic fttp then I know they do because I used it a few years ago
    Even if they don't Hyper optic let you "off the hook" for free if your new home is not covered by them (or at least they did 3-4 years ago).

Your best bet is mobile broadband PAYG. The dongle will be an investment if you are contracting away from home often. Some providers ignore streaming video from the allowance so even 20GB/m should be enough unless you are downloading stuff like crazy.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Direct Save Telecom do and I think Now tv do a 1 month rolling contract but not 100% sure. If you live in a building that uses hyperoptic fttp then I know they do because I used it a few years ago

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    A ploy I stumbled across, which may or may not still be possible or consistent across providers, is if moving and your current provider can't provide a similar service at the new address they have to offer you a free cancellation of any outstanding contract.

So go with a local provider that doesn't offer a comprehensive service elsewhere.

The simplest solution has already been suggested, use a 3g/4g/5g (BT apparently rolling this out now in twenty odd cities) dongle then you can do PAYG or take it with you without hassle providing there's a decent signal.

Most providers seem to be offering longer contract minimum terms rather than shorter, though there probably will be shorter options but at increased cost, so you may not save that much if you do keep the service than paying a cancellation fee if you need to cut a cheaper service short. Check out what is on offer via SamKnows or other broadband availability checkers and do some maths for each possible scenario.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'm not entirely sure such a thing exists. You may have to look at a 3G/4G dongle, depending on what it is you're doing that requires you to have such high bandwidth.

Leave a comment:

• man
    started a topic Short term 'fibre' broadband?

Short term 'fibre' broadband?

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any ISPs offering a good deal on fibre to the cabinet (or faster) short term (e.g. 6 month) broadband contracts (and/or a longer contract with good cancellation terms rather than a massive fee) . Last time I looked the only reasonable deal around was for 12months+.

Reason I'm interested is that my current gig may not last long due to the imminent IR35 changes and I'm expecting to need to move - and there's no guarantee I'll need or want to move the broadband with me.

Working...
X